Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

DUO - Same address for both accounts but rejected because of billing address.

Solved!

DUO - Same address for both accounts but rejected because of billing address.

Premium

Mexico residence, USA billing

Device

Windows

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Wife and I are expats from the US living in Mexico. We both created our accounts in Mexico. When I signed up and paid for DUO, the payment to our US credit card changed my account to E.E.U.U. (Spanish for USA).

When she enters the address on her invite page our address is rejected because my address is now set to E.E.U.U.

The option to change country is not available in either account.

Read through similar posts and this ends up in ongoing issues with help from elevated support and nothing that can be done from our side. So I'm out of options.

Please advise.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

That's not the issue.

Good customer service requires listening to the customer. Not
strawmanning and gaslighting. If Spotify has to do that, Spotify should ask
why it can't face the facts of buggy code and processes.

Obviously Spoytify has shown what is more important.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This was resolved by canceling the account.

According to support, no one can ever use a US credit card to purchase anything on the internet when outside the USA.

We use our US cards for services in Mexico all the time. We have only had this problem with Spotify. All other services work with US cards just fine.

.Support wanted to argue the point though.... no one can ever use a US credit card to purchase anything on the internet when outside the USA ... "I hope you understand that." Poor experience and poor customer service all around.

Hi @user-removed,

It is indeed true, that the country of your payment method must match the country of your account and for Duo and Family also your physical address that you provide when signing up for those subscription types.

We understand this can feel somewhat restrictive, but it is necessary due to the different licencing agreements for the content on Spotify that differ from region to region. In order for the correct licensing fees to be payed and in turn the correct payout to the rights holders to be made, you cannot mix-and match regions. Your payment method takes priority as your main region and your account details must match it, as this is the most secure way to match a user with a region for the mentioned licensing purposes.

If you want to use Spotify Duo while in Mexico, you can use any of the there available payment methods like a Mexican PayPal account, Oxxo, AT&T Mexico and others.

Due to the different licensing agreements Duo in Mexico is actually somewhat cheaper than in the US, costing 148MXN per month. Without the ability to provide those region differences based on the payment methods, we wouldn't be able to offer the best price possible for a given country, so we hope you understand the overall situation.

Take care!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

That's not the issue.

Good customer service requires listening to the customer. Not
strawmanning and gaslighting. If Spotify has to do that, Spotify should ask
why it can't face the facts of buggy code and processes.

Obviously Spoytify has shown what is more important.

Suggested posts