Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Payment Discrepancy - Current vs new subscription

Payment Discrepancy - Current vs new subscription

I currently pay $12.99/month for a premium Spotify account, and have been for maybe 1 year+... I see that, in order to subscribe for Spotify premium nowadays, the cost is $9.99.  Did the price change?  And if so, why did my subscription payment not change along with the price?  If there is a discrepancy, what is the process for being trued-up?

2 Replies

Hey @peterlevitt

Did you previously subscribe to premium through the Apple app store? The cost for that was $12.99 a month. Apple added a fee to the cost, so that is why it was more. Spotify has discontined this subscription method becasue it costs more. You can cancel this and then resubscribe directly from the Spotify website.

"Up until recently, it was possible to pay for Spotify Premium using Apple’s in-app payment system (iAP). However, this has been discontinued for new subscribers."

https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/subscription_information/spotify-through-the-app-st...

It also depends on your country. The cost is slightly different depending on country.

Spotify premium has always been 9.99 in the US, UK, and various other countries when subscribing directly from the Spotify website.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I suppose Spotify is bound by their commitment with iTunes not to suggest that people unsubscribe and then re-subscribe directly on their website.  But I can't help to wonder how many people are paying $13 instead of $10 simply because Spotify isn't willing to make that suggestion.

They do suggest that you subscribe directly through their website, if you are about to cancel.  So why are they not proactive enough to get out ahead of this issue?  I imagine that they would retain more subscribers if they told them - hey, you're paying too much, let's set you up to pay $3 less per month.  

Suggested posts