Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Payment not accepted due to differences between the origin of my card and the country where I live

Payment not accepted due to differences between the origin of my card and the country where I live

Hello, I am trying to get a Student Premium Account, but Spotify won't let me pay. I currently live and study in Austria, but I'm originally from Spain, and my debit Mastercard as well. Apparently, this difference is a problem when it comes to paying Spotify, as it says that my card and my country do not match. I also tried paying with PayPal, but it wont work. Has anyone had this problem before? How could I solve it? Thank you very much! 

5 Replies

Hey @rebecamartinez, and welcome to the community.

Hope you're doing great! 

Yes, the countries have to match in order for you to pay for Premium, but no worries - there are some alternative options as well. 

You mentioned that you tried PayPal, but that didn't work. Can you tell me if there is an error message showing - and what happens when you try to process payment?

I look forward to your reply 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey @billy-j, thank you for your reply!

The error that shows says "Tu método de pago no coincide con el país registrado en tu cuenta" which means my payment method does not coincide with the country where my account is registered now. So, same problem as when I try to pay with my debit card! 

@rebecamartinez.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Since PayPal isn't work, Spotify does accept Prepaid cards by Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. If you are able to find one of these, you'll be able to subscribe. These cards, epecially when purchases online are issued by a foreign bank and that will give the same error.

If that doesn't work either, I'd recommend creating a new Australian PayPal account. It will have to be verified before it works. More information about verifying a PayPal account here.

Let me know how you get on 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have the same issue. My credit card and PayPal accounts are registered in Germany, but I live in Switzerland. I’m not creating a new PayPal account only to register for Spotify Duo Premium. If you want me as a paying customer, please also accept standard international payments. Why does it matter in which country I have my bank account? Accept my money and you will have two more customers. With no other company I encounter issues.

Hi there @Polly-enya,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Premium can only be activated with a payment method issues in the country which is set on the account. This is because there are differences in the price of the Premium plans in different countries.

What you can do is change the country of your accounts to Germany when you're in that country and update to Premium with your German payment method. Once you've got your subscription set up you can travel anywhere in the world.

Hope you find this info helpful.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts