Country

Australia

Device

Samsung galaxy S9+

Operating System

Android v9

My Question or Issue

Hi 

I'm currently on free Spotify and thinking of changing to premium.

At the moment I use Google Play and have purchased a lot of music, which I have access to download.

If I change to Spotify premium I want to be able to upload the music that I own so I can listen to everything from one place. 

If researched the Spotify help community and saw reference to local files.

Somes questions:

Where are these files stored? On one of my own devices?

Do these files only play when you are playing them off the device they are stored on?

If so, I mostly listen to music off my phone, so would the music have to physically be stored on my phone? What happens if I don't have enough storage space on my phone?

Thanks 

2 Replies

So to be honest, I've never done too much with local files, especially not on mobile, but you would need to have these songs on your desktop and then put them all into a playlist and then when you are on the same wifi as the mobile device, you can sync it and I'm pretty sure it would download it to your mobile, so you can listen to the songs without being connected to your computer. So the files have to be stored on your desktop, but they can only play if you let Spotify download them to your Samsung device. Unfortunately, you would probably not be able to play these songs on your mobile on the go, without having enough storage space on your phone. I hope this helped, but tell me if you have any other questions that I didn't answer or that I answered badly.

Hello @Lunargirl22

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

Just adding a link to a support article on Local files in addition to the helpful response posted by @PrettyMuchSwiss

Keep in mind that you might not be able to download local files on your mobile device if there's not enough free space. 

I hope it helps! 

Suggested posts