Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Block songs based on language/country of origin - expat issues

Block songs based on language/country of origin - expat issues

I'm an expat in Thailand but I have absolutely no interest in Thai music or Korean K-pop. Is there any way to remove/block all Thai music, etc., from appearing on my homepage?

I read the homepage is made from your listening history. I've been careful never to listen to a single Thai song to avoid that. The Thai music is appearing based solely on my location. You can see from the screenshot a whole row of my homepage is taken up by music I have no interest in at all. I'd like to remove it and have it replaced by more relevant suggestions.

7 Replies

Can anyone from Spotify respond? This is a real issue.

Hello Spotify, is anyone there?????

The Thai music is gone from my homepage now, so maybe someone from Spotify fixed it behind the scenes.

I only listen to English and Japanese songs but for some reason, Chinese and Korean songs(which I do not understand and so I am not particularly interested in) started to pop in the suggestions.  What can I do to remove the suggestions based on the language?  I try blocking artists only to find more of them showing up in my suggestions (LOL)

Hi there @Mnrofrew,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. We just came across this thread.

One part of what recommendations are based on is what others who listen to similar music as you also listen to, so that might influence receiving song suggestions from other Asian languages.

Whenever you have the opportunity to hide them, you should do so and the algorithm will adjust itself, so those will probably be reduced, although they might not be removed completely and you could still receive some from time to time.

The logic being that music can be enjoyed even if you don't always understand the lyrics, so that's why songs in foreign languages can be included sometimes.

I hope this information was helpful 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Jeremy, thank you for replying one year later now that someone else has the same problem. Thai music on my homepage has come back.

You have not offered a viable solution and your opinion about whether I can enjoy music in other languages is irrelevant.

Please offer users the choice to filter music based on language and location. This is especially important for expats. Suggestions about how to tweak the algorithm are not a solution.

I agree, recently Spotify sucks. Half of the music that I receive in my Weekly or Mix is in Russian or Deutch. I hate to hear this language and removing this song work for nobody!
Give us a solution! We need to block specific languages!

Suggested posts