Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

''Liked Songs'' not playing in sorted order anymore!

''Liked Songs'' not playing in sorted order anymore!

Plan

Premium

Country

The Netherlands

Device

Samsung Galaxy A70, PC, Xbox Series S.

Operating System

Android 10, Windows 10 (Using the desktop app, not the UWP app).

My Question or Issue

I noticed that my Liked Songs stopped playing in the selected order and always plays in the order when non of the options are selected.

So, if i have it ordered by Artist, Title, Album or date added, it completely ignores that and plays the songs in the order that it would be in when not having it ordered by any of the options on the top of the screen. (which is ordered from newest to oldest added songs)

This annoys me a lot, cause this causes the songs to not play in the order thats being displayed.
I always have it ordered in alphabetical order for Artists.

Is anything known about this being an issue? it has been going on for me for over a year and a half now!

Greetings from DjBasA.

5 Replies

Hey there @DjBasA,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Sorry to hear that you're having such an experience.

Try running a clean reinstall of the app on your devices, by following the steps in this Spotify Answer. This will assure you've cleared all app data and cache and are running the latest version.

If this keeps happening across multiple devices even after the clean reinstall, you can try to add all your Liked Songs to a playlist, then delete all liked songs and try re-adding some of them back. 

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

i actually already tried the things you mentioned. (some of them even multiple times.)
I even had to do a complete reinstall of Windows itself late November 2020. (SteamVR completely stopped working, couldn't figure out what was causing it)

sadly, all of this didn't fix it for me.

something i did notice today is that it does actually play in the order selected when i change it in that session and click play on one of the songs then. (it stays like this, even when playing another playlist and then going back to my Liked Songs)

When i exit out of Spotify completely and open it up again, it will still display the songs in the order i left it in (with that category selected), but it will play again out of the displayed order from newest to oldest added songs. (the default when first opening a playlist or the liked songs)

Clicking a song to play when it displays the order i want it in but doesn't actually play the songs in the order showed doesn't get it back to playing the songs in the order thats showing and continues to play them out of order (but does play the song that i clicked on), Until i click the category i wanted it in a few times to have it cycle between the different modes the categories have, so it displays the Artist A-Z again, click a song to play and then it will play in the correct order again.

Just so you know, no, i don't have Shuffle enabled.

Not too sure if this also happens on my phone or the Xbox, but it happens all the time on Windows for me (desktop app, i don't use the UWP app)

Hi there @DjBasA,

Thanks for the clarification of the issue.

Once you sort your Liked songs, by Artist for example, they'll stay sorted in that order for a certain amount of time and automatically reset at one point or when you exit the app. This may also happen if your network connection goes offline or you restart your PC. The sorting option is intended to stay active during a listening session. 

We'd recommend after you close and open the app to just re-sort the playlist.

Hope this info clears things up 🙂 Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Is it possible have the playlist to stay in the order I sorted? I don't want it to reset every time I close the playlist/app. Why does this only apply to my Liked playlist?

Hey @HeresJonnie,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently this is the way the app works. We've passed your feedback on to the folks working on development and making the experience more user friendly 🙂

Hope you find this information helpful.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts