Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files show up on phone, but not my other PC

Local Files show up on phone, but not my other PC

So on my desktop computer (Windows), I can download Mp3 files and add them to playlist using the local files feature, and with this feature I can also listen to them on my phone, as long as I used the PC to add them to the playlist first.

This all works

What I am confused about is why I cant play those songs on a DIFFERENT computer (my apple laptop) when I can play them on my phone. Even if I download the EXACT SAME mp3 file to my laptop, I would have to have 2 of the same song on my playlist (One for the laptop, one for everything else). So is there a way to listen to the song on all my devices, but only download it on my desktop pc?

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

(Macbook Air, Samsung galaxy s9, and a windows pc)

Operating System

(idk all of them)

My Question or Issue

oops i put that above

2 Replies

Hey @Pspies22,

Welcome to the community, and thanks for posting your question! This is correct that the local file syncing only works between PC and mobile devices. In order to listen to the local tracks on another computer (such as your Macbook), you would need to manually add the actual files to a folder on that device and give the desktop version of Spotify on that computer access to local files just like on your original desktop computer.

If you have access to a cloud storage service, like Dropbox or OneDrive, you could save files you want to sync between computers there. I actually use this method with OneDrive and have had great success with it.

All that said, you should only need to save the tracks to your playlist once, and as long as desktop Spotify can access the folder they are saved to, they should be playable on your playlists.

Please check out this page if you need information on adding a folder as a source on your computer.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

A pity, my "other PC" is my work PC, so I'm not allowed to map my local files onto it, so as such, every time I play from my work PC, I "lose" my local files from my phone.

Suggested posts