Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files stop importing

Local Files stop importing

I pulled out my external drive for my music collection and copied the files onto my new MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max.

I went to add them to Spotify's Local Files (which I have not used in ages), and it stops importing around 7,000 songs.  I have around 15,000 songs (I had a CD collection with around 1,100 albums), so this is a real issue - as a large portion of them are not available on Spotify.

How can I get Spotify to stop capping out?  I've turned [Local Files] off and on a few times once it's fully stopped (after waiting about an hour with no change), and it keeps stopping between 6,800 and 7,200.  Is there a way to manually nudge the program to keep adding files?  Or is Apple Music the only program that will hold all my albums?

1 Reply

Hey @JBrooks0606

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

Although there isn't a set limit to the number of Local Files that you can import to Spotify, having a very large number can have an impact on the app's performance, such as what you're mentioning. 

Keep in mind Spotify's main purpose is to stream the Spotify catalog and the local files is an extra feature. It's not built as a local files music player. As such, it's not surprising that adding more than tens of thousands of songs into one section of the app will cause trouble. 

A better way to go about this is to organize your music collection a bit and start importing your favorites at first, which you can then add to Spotify playlists, so you're not missing any favorite tunes. But 15 000 files might be a bit too much for what Spotify is built to handle at this time. 

We're always improving and optimizing the app, so it might be able to do better in the future, sorry that it's not there yet. Give us a shout if you have any other questions. Give us a shout if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts