Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Some local files are greyed out in Spotify windows app and will not play

Some local files are greyed out in Spotify windows app and will not play

I have Spotify Premium with App running on Windows 11 laptop.

I have itunes specified as source for local files.

Some files are greyed out in the app and cannot be played. Some of these are mp3 files I recorded myself and some are songs that are also available on Spotify. All of these files were available to play until a few weeks ago when they became greyed out. I have reinstalled the Spotify App and it makes no difference.

If I cannot find a solution, I will need to think about cancelling Spotify.

3 Replies

Hi there @Colin200,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

First up, make sure Spotify has access to the folder where the audio files are stored. You can check that by going to the Spotify app > Settings > Your Library > Local Files > Show songs from. 

If everything is selected correctly from there, you could try changing the source folder of the Local files on the PC. Just uninstall Spotify > create a new folder somewhere else on the PC and move the Local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

If the issue persists, could you send a screenshot of your Local Files where we can see the ones that are greyed out?

We'll take a look.

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for responding. I have uninstalled Spotify on my Windows app and reinstalled it. I have created a new folder on my laptop which contains three MP3 files. Two of these are mp3 files I recorded myself and the other is an Animals song that I purchased on itunes. I specified this folder as source of local files in Spotify. I created a playlist called "Test local files playlist" and put these three local files in it. See the first screenshot. I can play all three on my laptop from this playlist.    Next I uninstalled and reinstalled the Spotify App on my Samsung phone. I opened Spotify on my phone and opened the playlist "Test local files playlist". The three files in it are greyed out and will not download. If I try to play them I am told they are not available on the phone. See second screenshot. Can you advise?

screeen grab1.jpg
Screenshot_20240223_103718_Spotify.jpg

Hey there @Colin200

Thanks for your reply. 

The way how the local files work has changed. In this case, we suggest that you give these steps a go to check if they work for you. 

Let us know how it goes. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts