Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Someone hacked me just to follow a playlist

Solved!

Someone hacked me just to follow a playlist

Hey everyone,

Recently my account got hacked and when I signed back into it after changing my password, signing out everywhere etc, nothing had changed except for 1 thing: I was following a playlist called 'more new you', created by a user named 'Lance A Smith'.

After investigating, I found out that there are many more playlists with the exact same format - similar artists with the same generic instrumental tracks and nonsensical titles.

Yesterday, the playlist I followed had around 700 followers, now it has around 800. Has anyone else had something similar happen to them? I feel like this should get looked into.

suspiciousplaylist.png
suspiciousplaylist2.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello,

this happened to me too just a couple days ago. Just like you, I wanted to do something more than just changing my password, as clearly this is being done by companies or individuals trying to grow their audience and follower base.

I got in touch with support and they directed me to request a download of my data. You can find this in your profile under “Privacy settings”. I am still waiting for it to arrive (they said it could take up to 30 days) and I will see what can I do with that info.

I would certainly hope the people fro Spotify did something else apart from telling you to change your password and take this kind of things more seriously, as there are little ways for us users to report this kind of situations.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hey @marconi219, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I’m sorry to hear about this! In this case, I’d recommend checking out this support article for the next steps to take. 

To prevent this from happening in the future, there are many measures you can take to protect your account, such as resetting your password every few months, and not using passwords you have used on other sites. There is also a great guide herefor some more measures on protecting your account.

If you see an email from Spotify, and can’t tell if it’s legit, use this checklist. Of course, Spotify makes sure that all user records and platforms are completely secure around the clock.

I hope this helps.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

Hello,

this happened to me too just a couple days ago. Just like you, I wanted to do something more than just changing my password, as clearly this is being done by companies or individuals trying to grow their audience and follower base.

I got in touch with support and they directed me to request a download of my data. You can find this in your profile under “Privacy settings”. I am still waiting for it to arrive (they said it could take up to 30 days) and I will see what can I do with that info.

I would certainly hope the people fro Spotify did something else apart from telling you to change your password and take this kind of things more seriously, as there are little ways for us users to report this kind of situations.

Hi, thank you for the reply! I just did what you suggested. 

Hopefully Spotify does something, because I just checked and now one of these playlists has well over 1000 followers. 

Suggested posts