Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Song sent from a friend plays totally different song in the app

Song sent from a friend plays totally different song in the app

Sometimes when friends send me direct links to songs in iMessage, I'll click on the link and it will play a totally different song. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be a real nuisance. I've told my friends and they'll resend the link, but most of the time the problem persists.  If this is because I don't have a Premium account I think it's ridiculous to be subjected to something completely different from a direct link a friend sent me. I've tried closing and restarting the app, it doesn't make any difference. I know you can only listen to each song once per day with a free account, but I hadn't even listed to the songs in question once. 

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

2 Replies

Hey @geodegrl2251,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. We moved your post from Ideas to the help boards as its content fits better here.

Since choosing a specific track is a Premium feature, if you don't have an active Premium subscription, it's expected that the link guides you to different songs within the same playlists or artist as the free accounts can only listen in shuffle mode.

However, if you have an active Premium subscription, include in your next response the OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. Let me make sure I understand this correctly:  Since I have a free account, a friend can't send me a direct link to a song, it'll always go to something else? 

That doesn't really make much sense to me. I could understand if I was searching for music myself and wanting to listen to a specific song, but it might play another song because of shuffle mode. But I have to explain to a friend "sorry, I couldn't listen to the song you sent me because I have a free account" ?

(I did have a Premium account as I was gifted one by a friend, but I let it lapse and I can't really afford to resubscribe at this time)

Suggested posts