Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won’t play explicit songs

Spotify won’t play explicit songs

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue I keep trying to play songs by artists.. Spotify won’t play them because it says they are explicit. It says to go to me settings to allow explicit songs but it’s already on and still won’t play the songs.

03197A27-48A7-47D0-8331-EE64A4142B55.png
EAE37BDF-FCDC-4496-80BD-6205E87268A9.png
4F14EF8D-0766-4E6D-ABE1-9EEB96DA26BF.png
12 Replies

Hey there @Spoony1016,

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community 🙂

Can you to try logging out > restarting your device > logging back in to sync things up? Do you experience this issue on a different device?

You can send us a screenshot of the Explicit settings, so we can make sure everything looks good there.

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Stay safe!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I face the same issue. I'm under a Family acc. The account manager have already allowed for my account but is still showing the same. 

Try uninstaling - reinstalling and even tried removing me from the family plan and adding in again. Still the same. Help. 

Hi @8unb4tv3_-h7u,

Welcome to the Community 🙂 

We'd first suggesting making sure that Allow Explicit Content is enabled in the app's Settings - you can find more info on locating this setting on the app here.

Further, have you already performed a clean reinstall? This is different than simply reinstalling, as it can clear any cache that might be causing this issue. You can also give it a try using a different device or a different connection to see if it works.

If it doesn't, send us your device's make, model, exact OS version and Spotify version so we can take a better look. Any screenshots of how things look for you in the app would be helpful as well, just make sure that there's no private or sensitive info visible.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

KaterinaModerator

I’m having the same issue.  I have a family premium account.  We had a few of the kids accounts with explicit content filtered.  However, when we try to deactivate the filter, it shows as off, but the E songs still show up grayed out in those accounts.  This happens on devices with the app but also using Spotify via the web (so it’s not device specific).

Hi there @NavyBrendan99,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you confirm if you're signed into the family plan owners account when you try to deactivate it? If so, can you try from another device to see if the issue persists?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey! My Spotify won't let me listen to Explicit music. How do i fix this on my computer?

Hey there @Cougan99,

Thanks for the post.

Check out this Article for info on how you can switch on Explicit Content.

Cheers!

AlexModerator

Hi, I know this post is old, but I recently logged into Spotify on my Chromebook, and it does not have the option to turn on explicit songs. 

Is there any way to fix this?

Screenshot 2022-10-08 13.01.34.png

I can play explicit content on my phone, but not on the PS4 app, which is logged into the SAME ACCOUNT. The PS4 tells me to change the settings on the phone.  The settings on the phone are already open.  There are no parental controls at all set up on the PS4.

Hey there @madrooster7,

Thanks for the post.

You can try turning on Explicit content from the Desktop app. Let us know if that works.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I am currently having this issue across all of my devices and platforms. It happened a couple months ago and I just couldn't play explicit (19+) music any longer.. seeing how I'm 37 years old on a Premium Individual account (Korea) I don't think age is the issue. My explicit content settings are still the same which allows playback. Do I have to do a total reinstall?

Hey @anhelitalee,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Are you getting an error message/pop-up when you try to play an explicit song in the app? If so, you'd need to reverify your age. Once you do that, you'll be able to play explicit content. 

Let us know how things work out, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

LyubkaModerator

Suggested posts