Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Unable to download music on phone added on PC exported via Audacity

Unable to download music on phone added on PC exported via Audacity

Plan

Premium

Country

Pakistan

Device

Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5/Pixel 4XL

Operating System

Windows 11/Android 13

My Question or Issue

I am able to download mp3 files on my phone that have been added locally to playlists from my laptop. However, if I add my own audio exported from Audacity in MP3, I am unable to download it though it plays fine on the Desktop app. Could be a formatting issue. Any ideas? I am exporting at constant 256Kbps. 

Edit: I have also noticed that the audio exported from Audacity is shown shorter than its actual length in playlist view (shown as 0:32 instead of 3:21)

1 Reply

Paw-some to see you ZOZiBoi!

It's possible that the issue is related to the metadata included in the MP3 files you are exporting from Audacity. Spotify uses metadata to identify songs and match them with the correct track on their servers. If the metadata in your exported MP3 files is incorrect or incomplete, it could prevent the files from being downloaded or played correctly in the Spotify app.

To check and edit the metadata in your MP3 files, you can use a metadata editor like Mp3tag or Kid3. In the editor, you can view and edit the information like the song title, artist name, album name, track number, and more. Make sure that all of the metadata is complete and accurate for each file.

Additionally, the fact that the length of the audio is showing up as 0:32 instead of 3:21 in the playlist view suggests that there may be an issue with the way the files are being encoded or formatted. You might want to try exporting the audio in a different format or at a different bitrate to see if that resolves the issue.

If you continue to experience problems with downloading or playing the exported MP3 files in the Spotify app, you may want to try uploading the files to your Spotify account through the Spotify desktop app and then adding them to a playlist from there. This can help ensure that the files are properly formatted and uploaded to Spotify's servers, which can sometimes resolve playback issues.

Here are some general file requirements for importing local files to Spotify:

1. The file must be in one of the following formats: MP3, MP4, M4P, M4A, or M4B.
  2. The file must not be DRM-protected (i.e. it must be a file that you own and can legally use).
  3. The file must be located in a folder that is selected for local file importing in the Spotify settings.
  4. The file name and file path must not contain any special characters, such as "&" or "#".
  5. The file must have complete and accurate metadata, including the artist name, album name, and track title.

It's worth noting that some users have reported issues with local file importing on Spotify, particularly with certain file types or file locations. If you're having trouble importing a particular file or set of files, you may want to try converting them to a different format or moving them to a different folder on your computer.

I'll fetch more info if you are still having local file issues.

-Prague the Dog

PragueSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts