What happens when I follow a friend?

Highlighted

What happens when I follow a friend?

Regular

If I follow someone I know on spotify, will he get a notification? 

Will I see what he's playing, in my friend feed, if he has his activity hidden?

12 Replies
Highlighted

Re: What happens when I follow a friend?

Roadie

Hey! 

If you follow a friend they do not get a notification anymore as the notification bell has been removed from the client. 

You will see what your friend is playing as long as his listening habits are public and you have the Friend Feed open on the right side of your client. If he has his activity hidden no one, even his friends, can see his activity - it's private. 

Hope that helps!

Highlighted

Regular

Thank you so much for replying! I've been puzzling over this for ages. Someone on twitter said I'd still see his activity? Naturally, now that confuses me. What's the use of following someone if their activity is hidden? 

How would I know if he had hidden his activity? If his "recently listened to" isn't visible, does that mean it's hidden? 

How would someone hide their list of followers? 

Does that mean that the only way he would know I was following him would be to check his follower list? 

(Sorry for the 20Q, I'm anxious to follow someone but I want to understand what I'm doing beforehand, and understand how that may or may not appear)

Highlighted

Rock Star 11
Rock Star 11

Hello @carlyg-123

Let's make things clear for you

Users can activate their private session (click on the arrow next to your username in the right corner > Private Session) 

The Private Session last until you restart Spotify or for long period of inactivity.

"Anyone who follows you on Spotify can see what you’re listening to in real time, unless you turn on a Private Session."

For more info check here 

Users can't hide their followers, that means they are public and everyone can see them. 

If the "Recently Played Artists" tab is not visible, that means it's hidden yes. 

For now, the only way to see your followers is to go to your profile and check the Followers tab yes. 

Hope that clear things up, if you have more questions, reply back here : )

MartinStoichkovRock Star 11
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Roadie

Thanks for the help! Think some info got list in translation on mine 🙂 

Highlighted

Regular

If the recently played artists isn't visible, does that mean nothing will be visible in the friend feed? And if so, what's the purpose of following someone? 

I can't see his followers? He had some, but now it looks like this: (I've attached an image, no sure how it will appear) 

Capture.PNG
Highlighted

Rock Star 11
Rock Star 11

Hey again! 

The main purpose of following someone is to check their music in the Friend Activity panel and listen to their playlists. The "Recently Played Artist" is a different option, so it does not take an effect of their Listening Activity.

Of course, the Private Session and Recently Played Artists are up to the users, and it's only their choice if they want to hide or display them.

I don't know why it does not displaying the followers tab, but it's maybe a bug, try to log out and log back in Spotify and see if there's any difference. If not change, please send me the profile to your friend to check from my end and then I can assist you further. Thanks! : )

Highlighted

Regular

Does that mean that hiding the Recently Played Artist will have no bearing upon what's seen in the friend feed?

How far back does the friend feed go? I created a test account, and followed myself - it showed one song from 14hours ago. I followed someone else, and it just listed him as "other friends", without displaying anything in the friend feed. Why might this be? 

(I know I'm asking the same question, pretty much, I just want to make sure I'm 100% confident in what I'm doing/what to expect)

Highlighted

Rock Star 11
Rock Star 11

Hey back! 

You're not doing anything wrong. If you follow someone, who have low activity in Spotify, eg: they didn't listened from week or month in Spotify, then you see them at the bottom of the list. 

Did you listen on the same device, or on another with your other account? If you listen on other devices, make sure they're not in Offline Mode (if you have Premium account). 

Usually, the Friend Feed is refreshing from 1-3 minutes delay. 

In other words, if you follow someone who is active in Spotify, you'll see them in your Friend Activity. 

If you have other problems with the Friend Feed, you can submit a screenshot, too see what happening. 

• If you want to be 100% sure that all is working smoothly, you can make a clean reinstall of Spotify. : )
Highlighted

Re: What happens when i unfollow a friend, can they still see my activity ?

Can a friend still view my activity, even though i have unfollowed them ?

SUGGESTED POSTS