NEXT STEP

What's up with this new desktop UI?

Solved!

What's up with this new desktop UI?

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

I don't know where else to post this, but the new desktop UI is terrible. I'm running version 1.2.7.1277.g2b3ce637 and have tried the methods to revert the UI I've found elsewhere in the community (like changing prefs file, which I had to dig for), but none have worked.

The UI is just the complete opposite of what I'd want on desktop- very noncompact, difficult for no reason, and generally looks to be modeled more for phones than for a desktop.

If anyone knows a way to revert the update, please let me know.

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

Hey folks,

If you need a familiar experience to help you get started with the new Your Library sidebar, here's how to get it as close as possible to the old sidebar that previously only showed playlists:

• In the left "Your Library" sidebar, click on the "Playlists" filter at the top.

• Then, in the sort options drop down menu select "Custom Order". You will then see your previous playlist order and be able to move your playlists and folders like before.

• Your currently chosen filters and sort options will be remembered across restarts of the desktop app.

• If you would like to only see text in the Your Library sidebar (no art covers), go to the Spotify app Settings  Library ➜ and turn on "Use compact library layout".

• Flexible Sizing: You can drag the Your Library sidebar to different sizes. Fully expand the sidebar by clicking the arrow button at the top, and fully collapse the sidebar by clicking on the "Your Library" heading to see only art covers.

• At the top, you can scroll through the different filters with your mouse scroll wheel for faster navigation when the sidebar is set to a smaller size. 

Hopefully this info helps!

Check out my help guide for more help:

Desktop: New Your Library sidebar

312 Replies

I'm pretty sure it's already been said but I'll say it once more: whoever designed and approved the idea of browsing through hundreds of albums/artists in a tiny sidebar🤮 instead of wide main view should be laid off and never approach any profession tied to UI/UX. There's no excuse for a solution like that, it's truly disgusting.

PS. If you had a task to re-use more mobile components on desktop and THIS is the best you came up with you're incompetent, sorry.  

I just got the new desktop update for the app, and this is the first time ive been this disappointed. Design is clunky and looks like a social media platform. I really dont like any of the changes. But why oh why did you remove the possibility to resize the cover art? And why cant i decide freely in which order my playlists appears?

Been here many years, but will definitely look around for alternatives if this keeps up.

I finally found a solution to get back the old UI:

1. Install Spicetify https://github.com/spicetify
  2. Click on your avatar
  3. Open "Experimental Features"
  4. Search for "Enable Your Library X view of the left sidebar" and disable it

This is a genuinely horrific update. I've used Spotify premium for over a decade, and had an organised nested list of folders that all worked perfectly for me, but I think I'm going to have to move elsewhere. This is unusable, please stop pushing video content and bloated UI onto a platform that works.

I don't want to leave but these changes and how buggy they are on release just highlight how little it feels like Spotify care now.

shift + alt + 3 restores the album/artist/playlist full window view for the interface, so with that hotkey, the new interface is back to almost work as good as the old one for me.

Lame answer!

Jokable answer, deciieving, gaslighting answer.

NO ONE wants this new UI into theyr PC. It looks like it was made by a self taught graphic dsigner.

Your UI/UX department should all be fired.

This is a joke.

Who the **bleep** is responsible for this??

I am already searching new audio sterwaming services

the new ui looks absolutely ass, give us a way to use the old one! redesign my ass more like making everything worse for the sake of updating.

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

We wanted to let you know that there is a new announcement post that answers your questions and shows you how to use the new Your Library sidebar in the desktop app. We'll be closing this thread here now.

We continue to welcome your feedback about this change over in the thread linked below:

Desktop: New Your Library sidebar

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm sorry to say that I popped into Spotify the other day only to find  that everything that I'm familiar with is GONE and frankly I hate/loathe and despise this new look, period.  My library is missing, period, I can't find anything and I can't even set my library, what there is of it 😠, to the A to Z mode/look that I prefer.  I REALLY wish that Spotify would give the customer a CHOICE of whether or not we prefer to stay with new look or switch back to the old.  PLEASE consider this! Seriously! 

A revert button to banish the new layout.

Hear me out. do absolutely nothing to the ui, the algorithm or the features because with absolute certainty and knowledge; you have been hurting your app in almost every way possible, ever since you decided that it needed to be improved. In reality there was nothing to be improved on until all of the gimmick features have been added which I can be confident have ultimately lost Spotify money because there is not a soul on earth that cares about ai recommendations or facebook quizzes so with 6+ years of UI & UX experience I can recommend that you just stop spending all your money and actually allow your product to succeed instead of diverting its growth and adding gimmicks when people only want access to music and podcasts which they are able to find on their own organically then force people to pay more money to cover your bafoon R&D departments expenses when you don't even need to do anything!!

The old "library" interface design was much easier to organize a very large number of playlists in their folders, with the option to pull and drag multiple folders and playlists using the CTRL button, view folders on the "full screen" without limited to the left sidebar.

With the interface update, these things are no longer possible.

I'm a neurodivergent person, and the layout change caused me a crisis because it was completely different from the previous one and not very functional for organizing many playlists.

It also be helpful to have the option to permanently open/list “playlists” in the library. It’s so annoying every time you open the library to see artists and podcasts listed there too

Suggested posts