Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

playlist order

Solved!

playlist order

Info: I have a premium plan, live in the USA, device is a HP laptop (sometimes connecting to smart tv), I use Windows 10

My question: I am listening to a spotify playlist and assumed it would play the songs in the order they are listed. However, they are not playing that way even though I have shuffle turned off. I searched the help file and this community and could not find an answer.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Through trial and error, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I've never clicked the big play button you mentioned, but when I'm starting a playlist to connect to my tv, I've been clicking the play button beside the song I want to start with. I've since learned that I have to highlight the song then click play at the bottom. That keeps it from shuffling (even though I don't have the shuffle turned on!) I do feel strongly that if one does not click the shuffle button, it shouldn't shuffle no matter which play button is pressed!! Thank you!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi there @RobynK,

Thanks for reaching out. How exactly do you start a playlist? If you do so by pressing the big green button at the top, that will always start the playlist in shuffle mode. Even so, as long as you are Premium you can always turn off shuffle using the button for it at the bottom by the playback controls. If despite this setting being off, the playlists still only play on shuffle, please send us a screen recording of the behaviour so we can see exactly what happens and investigate further. If the files are too large to attach here in the Community, you can send them to us via Google Drive or as unlisted YouTube videos.

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for responding. In this particular case, I always start the
playback on my computer then I connect to a smart tv. I assumed in all
cases, playback was never shuffled unless I choose to. Because spotify
doesn't remember the last song played in a given playlist, I keep a list of
the last song played before moving to another playlist. I do this before
connecting to the tv. I do not know how to do a screen recording. Thank you!
Marked as solution

Through trial and error, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I've never clicked the big play button you mentioned, but when I'm starting a playlist to connect to my tv, I've been clicking the play button beside the song I want to start with. I've since learned that I have to highlight the song then click play at the bottom. That keeps it from shuffling (even though I don't have the shuffle turned on!) I do feel strongly that if one does not click the shuffle button, it shouldn't shuffle no matter which play button is pressed!! Thank you!

Regardless of whether it's a playlist I've created myself or one Spotify has generated for me (such as Daylists, etc.), none of my playlists will play in the order displayed. I do not have shuffle or smart shuffle on. This is a pretty basic functionality so I am surprised that it doesn't work.

I am a paying user, and this happens on the macOS desktop app, in the browser (Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Mozilla Firefox), and on my iPhone. Per an older post about a similar problem I uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify, despite it not working in the browser as well, but the issue persists. It's very odd.

I just noticed that the playlist is also playing songs that are... not in the playlist. 

What? 

Suggested posts