Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

AirPlay update / iOS 8 issues

Solved!

AirPlay update / iOS 8 issues

When I minimise the Spotify app on iPhone while its playing music, AppleTV loses connection and the sound fades out. This did not happen before I updated to iOS 8 and the latest ATV software. <br><br>Anyone else having similar problems? Anyone got a fix?
60 Replies

Hi.  I have this problem too since upgrading to 8.1.1 on my iphone 5s.  I've found that it works better if you forget about activating Airplay from the app, and do it from the 'Control Center' instead.

Or I just use it from my non-upgraded ipad.

Annoying!  But there are people with worse problems.

Same here, since all my iDevices, iphone 6, iphone 5, ipad mini retina, upgraded to IOS 8, this AirPlay doesn't work properly anymore, I tried connect to AirPlay in Control Center; switch to AirPlay device in Spotify; swiped out Spotify and re-open again after connected to AirPlay device, it just keep disconnecting after playing like 5 minutes or 10. My AirPlay device is Airport Express and another is from third party AirPlay manufacturer, both screwed up in the same way.

I don't think it is a problem of my iDevices or WiFi, it is the Spotify app in IOS! I never have problem with:

1. PC Spotify to either of these AirPlay device.

2. Other Music apps to either of these AirPlay device.

3. IOS Spotify with Bluetooth receiver.

Hopefully Spotify will fix it.

Same issue here.

It is beyond my understanding, that absolutely no-one from Spotify is commenting and participating in discussing this issue with their customers. Come On, Spotify! You can do better than this.

My opinion is that Spotify isn't really interested into addressing customer's issues. They do their internal business (which mainly consists in adding or removing features according to what they consider good or bad for us), and what happens, happens. Sooner or later they'll take it right in the face, but meanwhile we have to deal with it. Love it or leave it.

Have just sent an email to premium about this.

Hope they come back fast - a suggested solution could be to cancel the subscrption indtil this is resolved or sign up with another streaming provider. Money talks...

Two words:

Spotify connect......

https://www.spotify.com/uk/connect/

Need I say any more.

Thanks for recommending this, i didn't know the name.

Gramofon seems to be a better solution but it also means i have to blend into Spotify ecosystem because i can't stream airplay or bluetooth to my hifi anymore, but i don't trust Spotify on its reliability especially after this airplay issue, people on kickstarter complaining about Fon ssid issue although i am not sure at this point if a wifi password will be asked for if anyone try to connect, but i certainly do not want to connect to another suboptimal wifi router when i having a netgear R7000 already for my internet.
Small woofer fancy wireless speaker is definitely outside consideration, moreover they come with ridiculous price tag.
Lastly i certainly do not want to connect hifi to my laptop all the time.......

Hi,

Sorry but I think my British sarcasm was misinterpreted.

I wasn't really recommending Spotify Connect, more drawing people's attention to it.

Spotify and their partners have developed a technology that Apple device owners have had for free for years. Spotify Connect REQUIRES a premium account and compatible hardware unless you want to have a PC permanently connected to your audio equipment. Although Spotify Connect does have some advantages over AirPlay,, users like myself who have already invested in the Apple infrastructure are being screwed over by Spotufy's reluctance to fix this issue.

My point is that it is not in Spotify's financial interest to fix this issue so I doubt it's will happen soon - if at all!

I'm not saying the issue was introduced deliberately as I believe it is a combination of Spotify V1.8.0+ and iOS 8 that caused it, but I think it is working to Spotify's advantage.

I'm going to look for another service. Any recommendations are welcome.

@Do3del wrote:
Just go to preferences-spotify and select background streaming. Done

As stated by everyone here, this does not work and should not be marked as a solution.

Hi, had the same problem. solved as follow: enabled background update in both locatins. rebooted iphone 6. now working. 

Seems really that it has something to do with this double way of setting background update, since it works for some users and not for others, depending of how it has been set. I suggest trying to precisely follow my own method described in a previous post of this thread (#19). And making sure to have updated Spotify to the last version.

Spotify is not the only app affected by this background problem. I experience some erratic behaviour as well with a radio streaming app which at times stops depending on whether it is put background in a way or another. Which makes me feel that the ball could eventually be in Apple's court.

this method solved my problem. Make sure to reboot the phone.

@Do3del wrote:

thank you. worked after tons of time lost seeking solution

Same here with ipad + apple tv. Im thinking its Apples issue. After updating to 8.0.1 my apple tv remote app has had some serious problems with connectivity. Along with it this thing started. Why do I keep updating this bloody ipad. .

@Do3del wrote:

Ah I thought this worked and it does as long as I don't use the phone for something else (calling or accepting a call, eg).  Then the music stops again. Arrrghh.

this still didn't work. Its been months since iOS 8! Why hasn't spotify fixed this! =(

As this problem gave me a start to look for other streaming service and I stumbled upon Deezer. It streams more songs in better quality to my ears, some said their bitrate is 128kbps even in HQ but I really can hear more details, even if it was really only 128kbps so I don't bother, and I didn't have to turn on background refresh for the stupid stuff to work, same pricing as Spotify.

I found a workaround solution, which works great, see:  Spotify AipPlay problem on iPhone with iOS 8, Airplay Problem and Successfull Workaround

I have tired of waiting for getting this fixed from Spotify!

Updated both IOS and Spotify today to the new updates and cant listen to music with Airplay.

Have downloaded Deezer to ipad and iphone works like a charm and airplay works Great!!
Give Deezer a try instead!

Damnit spotify! It's been almost 4 months since iOS 8! Make AirPlay work! 😞

Suggested posts