Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

AirPlay update / iOS 8 issues

Solved!

AirPlay update / iOS 8 issues

When I minimise the Spotify app on iPhone while its playing music, AppleTV loses connection and the sound fades out. This did not happen before I updated to iOS 8 and the latest ATV software. <br><br>Anyone else having similar problems? Anyone got a fix?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Seems that "background app refresh" should be set in both locations : 1/ Settings>Spotify>Background App Refresh and 2/ General > Background App Refresh>Spotify. (If the option is already checked, uncheck all, restart the device and recheck in both locations)

Sounds odd and useless but since I did this, Spotify works right in background. Looks like Spotify doesn't deal correctly with this (somewhat absurd) double way of setting the same function.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

i always find i have this issue after an IOS or spotify update.

The solution i have found in all cases is to restart the phone.

sorry i know this sounds like a standard IT helpdesk answer, but it works for me and i've only had to do it once after each update.

View solution in original post

60 Replies

same problem. Please fix it!

@Tails1018 wrote:
When I minimise the Spotify app on iPhone while its playing music, AppleTV loses connection and the sound fades out. This did not happen before I updated to iOS 8 and the latest ATV software. <br><br>Anyone else having similar problems? Anyone got a fix?

Same problem here - I updated my iPad to iOS8 and when using airplay and the decive go to sleep (or if I exit using the homebutton), the music stop. If I open up the app again or wake up the iPad the music resumes.

Please fix this. It's getting really annoying to sit and keep the iPad alive instead of enjoying the music. 🙂

Same here!

Pls help!

I had exactly the same problem after having updated to iOS8 and updating the Apple TV software to the latest version. However, after starting to play something on Spotify yesterday evening and minimising the app I found it was back to normal behaviour, with the one exception that my Apple TV is set to turn off after one hour of inactivity, and it did so even though it was streaming Spotify.

So long story short, even though there don't appear to have been any further updates it's worth checking again to see if it now working as normal for you too.

I've got the exact same problem.

There's one work-around that partially solves the problem: use the 'official' AirPlay option by dragging up the bottom bar on the iPhone, then select Airplay and enable 'Mirroring'. Now I can at least put the iPhone to sleep while playing music. 

Opening another app or going back to the home screen still mutes the music, however. Seems like another iOS 8 bug. Good going Apple!

Same problem here. iphone 6/iOS 8 - AirPlay on AppleTv stops playing music when I leave the Spotify app.

Apple just released an Apple TV update, as well as updating iOS and I'm sure Spotify has released a new version of their app recently. Not sure who the culprit is...but fix it please.

Oh. One more thing.
Everything is working fine on the Music app.
Guess I'll use that for now. Maybe buy an album???

Just go to preferences-spotify and select background streaming. Done

But airplay stopped working on iOS 8.02, neither inapp spotify nor native on iOS

Solution?!:background streaming also stops here with appletv. However, while playing music in the app I woke Siri, asked her to open another (random app). The music continued. After that I closed that app with the home button and the music was still playing. Opening and closing spotify was no problem after this little trick here

Background streaming to applle TV stops here too. Any fix on this yet? I'm on iOS 8.1

Where is preferences located on the IPad?

Same here. I have the problem on a Retina iPad mini and the iPhone 6. Both are running iOS 8.1. But before iOS 8.1 I had the same problem dating back to iOS 8.0. As I understand Apple changed something in its AirPlay protocol that could be the source of this behavior. This means spotify needs to update its apps to behave nicely with this changed AirPlay protocol right?

It would be nice to see a response on this thread from Spotify itself, or did I miss that one?

Edit: the background 'streaming' solution doesn't work for me unfortunately.
Edit 2: it also happens when the device that is streaming goes to sleep. After a little while Spotify stops playing. It happens on my Denon 2113.

I had the same problem with Apple TV and an iPhone 5s/8.0.x, and since I've updated to 8.1 things seem to go much better (granted that Settings>general>background streaming is on). At least no more music fading out when screen auto-locks (or is manually locked) or when Spotify is minimized. But oddly the behavior of screen auto-lock has become very erratic whith Air Play / Apple TV, depending of the situation (which app is in foreground), sometimes it doesn't auto-lock anymore, and occasionally it just remains eternally in dimmed mode.

Anyway, as long as music doesn't stop, it's ok for me !

same issue, under ios8.1 i can no longer airplay to the ATV. occassionally a restart of the phone gets it going but once i've closed the app down i'n back to square one.

This issue started happening on my iPhone 4S, 6+ and iPad 4th Gen (Even before updating to iOS 😎 when Spotify upgraded to 1.8.0.  On 1.9.0 now and still having the issue.

Another couple of quirks I have noticed are that sometimes an ad and a song will play simultaneously (I don't have premium any more and won't get it until my confidence in Spotify has been restored).

Also sometimes I use Spotify through ATV with the TV switched off but audio connected iva SPDIF to my receiver which used to work fine until Spotify introduced the video ads which now causes playback to stop because ATV won't play video without the TV switched on because it can't detect an HDCP complient display.

This doesn't work for me.  When using airplay, as soon as my ipad or iphone6 goes to sleep the music fades out and stops.  I have the background app refresh setting turned on.

Marked as solution

Seems that "background app refresh" should be set in both locations : 1/ Settings>Spotify>Background App Refresh and 2/ General > Background App Refresh>Spotify. (If the option is already checked, uncheck all, restart the device and recheck in both locations)

Sounds odd and useless but since I did this, Spotify works right in background. Looks like Spotify doesn't deal correctly with this (somewhat absurd) double way of setting the same function.

Not "Done".. There is no go to preferences - Spotify on iOS 8 on an iPad.. How is that classed as a solution.. They need to sort this rubbish out. Also, it has started to play ADVERTS whilst a song is starting off playing, just awesome to hear both together.

Suggested posts