Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Alphabetical sorting in album view broken in 3.4.0

Alphabetical sorting in album view broken in 3.4.0

Upon updating to Spotify 3.4.0, I noticed that alphabetical sorting of albums, by artist or title, no longer works correctly. Neither killing/restarting the app nor deleting/reinstalling it has any effect. This is on iOS 8.3.

IMG_1489.jpg

This is when sorting by artist. Boris, Brian Eno, Burial, Busta Rhymes, then Beyonce, back to Burial, Beyonce, then Beastie Boys. It's a total mess.

Sorting by album title is in slightly better shape, but articles really screw it up.

IMG_1490.jpg

It takes everything that starts with "The" and sticks in in between the S's and T's. Well, almost everything:

IMG_1491.jpg

Here we've got a few stragglers stuck between T and U. None of this makes any sense and it's a real pain. Apple Music comes out tomorrow, and I'm surprised that Spotify thought it was a good idea to roll out an update with a major issue like this right before a big competitor's launch.

31 Replies

There's only one word for it BIZZAR if intentional it's the strangest use of the alphabet ever.

Same problem here, I'm on 4s.

Sent a couple of emails, got automatic replies and left negative feedback twice.

Paying for Premium so I can have the privilege of getting a crap service -  Dear customer service/ IT people, SORT IT OUT!

Just updated to 3.5, nothing changed

Same here no change whic is disappointing to say the least. Fingers crossed for the next one

More like fingers crossed for the next Apple Music update... I'm getting
fed up with Spotify. This is garbage.

So after a couple weeks and several emails back and forth between customer service and I, I finally relieved this email:

Thanks for getting back and the information.

Our team has been aware of this and will get it fixed as quickly as possible.

Please keep an eye on our updates and hopefully it will be fixed.

Please feel free to get back to us for any further questions.

Have a good day!

Best regards,

Luigi T | Executive Team

Spotify Customer Support

Did you know we have an extensive help section on our website? You can find it at https://support.spotify.com

This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged. It is intended only for the recipient(s). If you have reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please contact the sender immediately and delete the e-mail from your computer.

So it looks like they are at least aware of it and hopefully it will be fixed soon. Hope this helps!

I've just noticed this issue and have gone back and forth with Tech Support. They've now had me delete and reinstall the app 3 different times, effectively wiping out all of the music I had saved for offline use on my iPhone. That's 3K songs that I'm going to have to find again. If this has been a known issue for over 3 weeks, it's inconceivable to me that they would act as if they've never heard of it. I'll be switching to Apple Music if they can't get this figured out. 

V 3.6.0 fixes this problem somewhat.

But artists beginning with "The" will still get sorted under "T" and not the first  significant letter.

So f.e. "The Boxer Rebellion" always used to get sorted under B. Please fix this and pass this on to the engineers. +: Also add an album view when searching via artists in Your Music. Used to be there and now it's gone.

Even considering that "the" gets alphabetumzed, there are still errors. "The Sugar Stems" then "Temples" then "Thee Oh Sees." This after a series of "The"'s. How hard is sorting, really?

yeah mine is sorted now too, apart from "The" artists in sorted all together which is stupid. You would think after having a problem, the guys actually checked that it was fixed, rather than "fixing" it and not testing it. 

How hard is sorting really? 

Reinstalled the app today to see if things had improved. It's no longer a total mess like it was, but "The"s are still sorted with the rest of the "T"s. Is this just how it's going to be from now on? Did the iOS team just throw up their hands and decide it was good enough?

How hard is it to make the word 'the' just not be considered in the sorting algorithm?! This is pathetic, and I can't imagine 1 person using the service that does think it the dumbest thing ever!

Suggested posts