Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

“Appears On” feature gone

Solved!

“Appears On” feature gone

Can someone explain what is happening? I’m a growing artist and I have a featured artist on a song, but it’s not getting a lot of plays because the “appears on” feature is wiped! I’m sure this is disabling listeners and artists. Spotify please bring this back. This is insane!!

180 Replies

It's just a shame how they disrespect/ignore their die-hard users that actually care about the growth of their product.

Agreed. I was heartbroken when Grooveshark was forced to close shop but my enthusiasm quickly reignited upon discovering Spotify which *had* similar features and functionality. Now that Spotify is removing many of those features, AND WITHOUT NOTICE TO PAYING CUSTOMERS, I fear that I'll be forced to seek out a new streaming service. Especially after testing the TERRIBLE web app they're currently launching... HELLLLLLLL NO!

Spotify's response to this has been an absolute joke. Seriously so disappointed as both a listener and an artist.

They have zero care for their customers and artists and it's insane.

Everyone, PLEASE go vote here to bring the "Appears On" section back. Make more posts here, get Spotify's attention on Twitter, etc. Anything to help them realize how bad of a decision it was to remove this feature.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Browse-Bring-back-Appears-On-section...

I voted and hope more people vote, but I have lost faith in Spotify as a streaming platform worth the cost of a subscription. It is obvious to me that the direction the developers are going is not where I wish to follow. I am trying out other services and will no doubt be cancelling my Premium subscription within the month.

Yours was probably taken down due to there already being one (which I encourage EVERYBODY to go vote on)

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Browse-Bring-back-Appears-On-section/idi-p...

This is a terrible mistake. Appears on was functionally working great and a fantastic way to discover new artists. Also, a great way to see the whole discography of an artist and their features. This change, I can only surmise, will have have discriminatory effects on the hip hop community. The Hip hop and R&B community is largely built on features and collaborations. How will people discover what other albums, artists or projects their favorite artist are featured on? This feels like it is targeted towards black musicians and a way to suppress their ability to reach a wider audience. Please reconsider bringing back "Appears on", this is an awful change that has me considering Tidal or Apple music at this point. Thank you.

Please vote here to bring more attention to bringing this feature back. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Browse-Bring-back-Appears-On-section/idi-p...

this **bleep**. how are we supposed to find new music? how are we supposed to see the music our fav artists are featured in? you guys only care about your playlists.

Thanks for the link to "Tune My Music" - you can use the same service to transfer Spotify playlists to other streaming service beside Tidal.  I looked at Tidal but prefer Apple Music since it has folders and the ability to shuffle across multiple playlists (like Spotify USED to offer).

Spotify is "upgrading" itself into oblivion.

This is ridiculous! That feature was extremely useful especially when its already hard to use the search bar sometimes to find specific songs... I don’t understand why something so useful for everyone is being removed. Yall should at least consulte with your customers who are paying for a subscription. Please bring it back or else I might have to look at other music streaming platforms for better service. Thank you! 

Sadly, you are wasting your time and breath thinking Spotify cares at all about customer service or what their customers think - if you follow what's been going on, they don't give a damn about polls or other customer feedback.

Nothing speaks louder to Spotify's corporate character, than removing a very popular feature and then pretending for 3 months that its an IT issue - and driving their customers crazy, telling them to reinstall the software etc., - and then coming clean that they intentionally removed it, which we ALREADY KNEW.

I've already opened a free trial account on Tidal - which is appealing to me because you can easily transfer your playlists there.  Surprisingly, with the increase of alternative streaming choices we have/competition from Apple, Amazon, Tidal and others, Spotify's customer service has gotten WORSE - not better.

Peter,

This has to be the WORST THING Spotify has done and it's truly disappointing. You guys should be doing everything in your power to get this feature back as you can see from the community how important and beneficial it was.

I find it hard to believe that with the tech experts their at Spotify you can't assign someone to solve how "it's generated" so that we can have this feature back. The fun part about Spotify is discovering new music from artists we like and your company removed that method.  You guys really need to listen to your "Premium" customers and those new to the service who miss it too.

You guys are really letting us down here.

Unsatisfied.

I think you are missing the point.

For reasons of their own, the Spotify developers decided to remove Appears On for all devices other than the web version of Spotify. This sucks and not only harms the user experience but it also severely harms artists since it restricts users from seeing artist involvement in compilation collections. Also, for Classical musicians and fans, this is a disastrous change since often there are recordings which group works by a variety of composers, e.g. "string quartets by American composers".

This change is the latest in their agenda to screw users out of functionality - which Iplaylist first noticed with the removal of the ability to shuffle playlists within folders.

I can now say without reservation, Spotify sucks.

Apple Music here I come.

Hello - this is not a solution to the problem. Please return the "Appears On" feature as it is the main tool I use to explore Spotify. There will not be much reason to remain on Spotify without it as Tidal and Amazon both offer much higher quality streaming, but lack te Spotify user interface. Destroy the user interface and there is no reason to remain. 

Thank you - I hope you fix this quickly. 

I don't know how they explain this change. Unless you already know the title of a "tribute" album, e.g. "A Nod to Bob: An Artists' Tribute to Bob Dylan on His 60th Birthday" - we might never know of its existence. However this was not the case prior to this change (which Spotify cynically calls an improvement), since that is exactly how I became aware of it.

Prior to this change, a tribute album would come up on a search of any of the artists that were involved, as well as appearing on their artist page. But now, without the "Appears On" section, these important releases are forever lost in the Spotify jungle of 40 million songs.

This not only hurts users by denying them knowledge of recordings by an artist we are interested in, but also limits the kind of exposure every artist is allowed by Spotify, i.e. only their own recordings and ignoring those to which they made a contribution along with other artists.

This change makes me wonder about the motivation of the people driving these decisions. Why would they drastically cheapen the user experience?

And the kicker is that Spotify appears happily satisfied with their latest "improvement" and uninterested as to the damage they have caused to their subscribers.

a VERY **bleep** change.

who asked for this?

BAD CHANGE.
Who on earth asked for this change?
Makes it almost impossible to find songs on compilations unless in Top Ten.
And with less people finding songs on compilations, they'll gradually drop out of Top Ten's and then largely disappear.
An implausibly BAD decision.

I made a video for how to bring back the "Appears On" section for the desktop app. I use this section to find so much new music also and my friends have a lot of music there. Share for awareness? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91hhE7r6GL8

Suggested posts