Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Autoplay stops working on iOS after several hours of listening, until I log out and back in.

Autoplay stops working on iOS after several hours of listening, until I log out and back in.

Plan

Premium for family

Country

Poland

Device

Iphone SE 2020

Operating System

iOS 14.3, however the problem has been present ever since I've had this iPhone, that is since iOS 13.something, .6 I guess.

My Question or Issue

Hello!

I got myself my first iPhone in June, and I've been having a problem with Spotify ever since, although recently I've started to listen to it more regularly on the iPhone than I did before so it has been bugging me more than before.

I always like to have my music on in the background, often for many hours, and after what I was listening to ends, I keep it on autoplay. However, when using the app on my iPhone, it will often stop playing at some point. It will only happen with autoplay - so what I was listening to has ended, then autoplay starts playing, it keeps playing for a few hours and then stops. - If, at this point, I tap play again, it will start off from the beginning, that is, the first song that it played after switching to autoplay, and then will play again until exactly when it stopped.

Curiously, if, after that thing with autoplay happens, I'll play whatever I was listening to initially and it ends, the autoplay won't start at all. It often won't even if I will play something else. Restarting the app doesn't help, not even restarting the phone does, the only thing that does help of what I've tried is logging in and back again, after restarting the app.

This problem only happens on iOS, I don't experience it at all on my Windows computer.

It is quite distracting so it does bug me, and I like my music to be continuous, and also I'm just curious what may be causing such a weird thing.

Thank you in advance for any help or tips as for how I can deal with this. 🙂

5 Replies

Hi there @mysticsorrow,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

This could be caused by several thing, so we'd need to carry out some troubleshooting to get to the root of the issue.

We'd recommend you try the following:

• Run a clean reinstall of the app, removing all app data. Follow this guide for best results
  • Try connecting to a different network
  • Disable any sort of Battery Optimization for Spotify
  • Try logging in with a different account. You can ask a friend/family member for theirs, to test this out.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this 🙂

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Alex ,

I'd been testing all the things you mentioned, and it looks like the problem might be to do with the connection, because when I switched from my Wi-fi to mobile data, the problem didn't appear. I guess it's a little odd though because while my Wi-fi can be a bit sluggish sometimes, it's not terrible, and certainly faster than cell data. Plus my computer also works on the same Wi-fi and just like I said in the initial post, Spotify works just fine on it.

Is there anything I can do to be able to use Spotify on my phone on the Wi-fi without this problem occurring? I don't have all that much cell data to use up.

Hey @mysticsorrow,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

It's important to make sure that the router supports the Bonjour Network Protocol. In case the router is made after 2005, it's possible that it has this protocol.

It's a good idea to check with the manufacturer to make sure that the router supports it.

Just to double-check - does the issue persist with another account? We'll look into this further. 

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us. 

Ver Moderator

Hi @Ver ,
I will look into the router thing.
Oh and yes, I forgot to add that I tested it on a different account and then the issue also doesn't occur.

Hey @mysticsorrow,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

In case the router supports the Bonjour Network Protocol and the issue persists, we'd suggest you head here and contact our support team. The folks there can check your account and investigate this further.

We'll be right here if you have any further questions.

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts