Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

BMW Connected drive has limited functionality since Spotify app update

Solved!

BMW Connected drive has limited functionality since Spotify app update

This looks to be the same issue as the Mini is having, since in essence they are the same BMW system, but thought i would start a new post for BMW owners.

I have a BMW i3 with the ConnectedDrive system.

Currently when i connect my iPhone to the car via USB i get the below error message and i get reduced functionality, no Spotify icon appears on my dash and the iPhone screen isn't locked via a splash screen as expected.

Music will play via the USB or BT but only has the options to skip forwards or back. No browse selection, choose personal music, save tracks etc and only the initial track artwork is displayed, even when the next song is selected. It stays on the initial track details.

Music can only be selected via the phone, however this is not only dangerous, but illegal to use your phone while in the car with the engine on. I don't think the police will take kindly to the response. "It's okay officer, i wasn't using my phone, i was using spotify".

I have tried reinstalling the app, removing my offline devices but no joy. Looks like users affected by this issue will need to wait for an update to the app to be released.

Currently the only work around i can see is to set up a playlist, prior to setting off, so as to not have to use your phone while on the move.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

The MINI post can be found here;

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad/MINI-doesn-t-connect-to-Spotify/td-p/1124391

Spotify Error.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This is being investigated here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/BMW-integration-with-3-0-0-iOS-app/idc-p/1124458

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Marked as solution

This is being investigated here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/BMW-integration-with-3-0-0-iOS-app/idc-p/1124458

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks Matt.

Same issue here with Mini Connected. Same error message. Was there an update that made this happen? Also, it would be awesome if you could browse by searching via entering the artist's name in rather than being forced to browse by genre or new releases and so forth.

Yeah I was so upset when this happened. Right after I started a Premium membership too. I canceled my membership until this is fixed... 😪 Even playing with Bluetooth/USB is super buggy. Metadata doesn't change after 1st song played, and music always has to be restarted for me when I start playing. Sigh...

Any ETA on the next update for this? 😞

I still keeping checking to see if their is a new update out but no joy yet and not heard that one is in the pipeline or when that will be out. I have also cancelled my Spotify Premium account, although it remains active until June. Hopefully something will have been fixed before my premium expires or sadly i will have to look at alternatives from competitors, which is a shame as when Spotify works it is excellent. Just an update would be nice. Smiley Sad

I'm having the same problem in 2014 335i. 

2015-05-16 18.19.28.jpg

Me too! iPhone 6 Plus, spotify, mini connected.

Greetings from Santiago de Chile.

UPDATE!!!! Spotify just released an update that states that they have fixed the issue when connecting to BMW ConnectedDrive and MINI Connected vehicles. Version 3.1.0

Hopefully that will have solved it. I'll let you know. Smiley Happy

All confirmed working in my BMW, no more error and full functionality available. Update the app and hopefully you should be too.

Have you succeeded connecting Spotify premium to your BMW connect drive?

Morning Cricri451,

Yes after upgrading the app on my iPhone spotify premium is working fine now. All functions are working, browse, save tracks, skip forwards, backwards etc. I do sync all my music to the phone for offline playing though, if that makes any difference and i don't sync over my phone data connection, unless i have to. I let it re sync at home over wifi.

I have a BMW i3 connected drive for the record, so probably the newest version of the ConnectedDrive system.

I hope you get it working

Thank you Pete. I finally managed to get Spotify Premium to work in my car (BMW 135 IS, 2 yrs old) after the latest update. The only thing I noticed is that the thumb-up feature doesn't work in the car (fine at home). Not sure why. Not a big deal though.
Thank you for your help!
Cristina

I actually saw this as a feature! The interface in the connected Drive is so awful, it was better before this got 'fixed' - just click to dismiss the error message and use the standard interface on the phone!

Hello, I also have i3 but I can't mange the songs from wheel or browse the playlist. Can you see the Spotify icon in your dashboard now?

Suggested posts