Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't reorder songs in a playlist on iPone

Solved!

Can't reorder songs in a playlist on iPone

Upgraded to spotify 0.5.9.10, and I am paying for premium.

I can no longer change the order of songs in a playlist?? Why not? I used to be able to do this by touching the edit function then touching and holding to the right of the track and dragging up or down.

Is there another way to do it in the new version? Why on earth would you change this??

Also is there any way to change the order of playlists on the main home playlist screen? Mine seam to only be able to be ordered based on when they are created, this is somewhat limiting.

I only use mobile, on an iPhone 4s. No desktop.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.
88 Replies

I'm happy to say that I cancelled my subscription as well. Empty promises, crappy product. Just glad I'm able to follow through and do what I said, which is ditching this crummy service for not following through. 

I cancelled my subscription over this issue. Happy I did it too, since they literally dragged this out for months.

Marked as solution

Last week I talked with the Spotify iOS devs and this should be coming in the next iOS update. If not in the next update, it will come in one shortly after.

Sorry for the wait.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Sorry MattSuda -  I'm sure you have good intentions, but I see no commitment to release dates - this is most likely just fluff in an attempt to passify irate customers.  No actual detail re delivery.   I struggle to understand this wishy washy approach to business.  If we [in our respective buinesses - in the UK/Europe] are asked to deliver a product or a service,  we make a commitment, we define that commitment and we work to deadlines.  Everyone knows what these deadlines are and any issues prior to release are communicated.  Tell me, why is it that Spotify is unable to make basic commitments to its customers?  Do you really believe this is an acceptable practice?  To retain customers?  The churn rate will spike.  There is a tangible shift toward customer service and recognising providers who do it well.  Spotify is a prime example of a service provider with SHOCKING customer service.

If not the one after that, but probably the one after that, but maybe the one after that, but more than likely the one after that...

I appreciate your difficult situation as the middle man and feel like I'm killing the messenger. But seriously? Give up the ghost. The product is dead. There's an amazing new thing out there that actually let's you rearrange playlists.

It's called iTunes. And it's FREE

BTW - I moved to an Android phone - is this going to work for Android?  iPad will reamin in play - I bet there will be FA parity in the application features for Android - despite it being the platform with largest & expanding base.

The Android app has never had the ability to re-arrange tracks in a playlist.

You can add your kudo to the idea here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/The-Android-Mobile-app-needs-the-ability-to-change-son...

I'm surprised it doesn't have more kudos.

Hopefully Spotify adds the feature to the Android app.

MattSudaSpotify Star

did it a while back.

I'm not sure if Spotify developers are stupid or lazy?  It would appear that they are both.  I can see how their days unfold.  Rock up whenever [no deadlines]. pop to the free sodas ten times a day, earbuds in, no verbal communication, check messy hair looks cool, jeans halfway down arse check, blank expression on face whilst spending all their time on facebook checking what other people aren't doing with their lives.  I'd like to be a fly on a wall in that office.  Lots of activity, nothing ever accomplished. 

That's the problem when kids run a business - they don't know where to focus.

I'm sure noone gives a toss.

Mattsuda - You said almost a year ago that this issue would be resolved. I'm sure you're a good guy, but just repeating what Spotify devs tell you and making people hold out hope isn't extremely helpful. I held on for a few months, but it's really a basic function and there is no reason why it shouldn't be a top priority. I suppose there are more important things to do than getting an app which works on the world's most popular phone, but I'm not sure exactly what that is if you're Spotify. 

I predict that this "issue" will be magically fixed and app re-released with lots of bells and whistles just before iTunes Radio/ios7 is officially released. If you ask me, you can take away any of the recent updates (since the removal of the reorder function) and I wouldn't even notice. The ability to chose the order you listen to your music IS FUNDAMENTAL to a music player. Please, someone, fix this now!!! this should be your number 1 priority, management, devs, why won't you listen to your customers?

@ducknuggets wrote:

Mattsuda - You said almost a year ago that this issue would be resolved. I'm sure you're a good guy, but just repeating what Spotify devs tell you and making people hold out hope isn't extremely helpful. I held on for a few months, but it's really a basic function and there is no reason why it shouldn't be a top priority. I suppose there are more important things to do than getting an app which works on the world's most popular phone, but I'm not sure exactly what that is if you're Spotify. 

Multiple devs work on the iOS team. In November one of the devs wanted this to be fixed right away, but as a group vote it got put off.

They had other major things to work on. The underlying structure of the app broke the ability to re-arrange song and made the app very messy and unstable with the newer updates. They did lots of work to fix this. I talked to one of the devs last week and he's certain it will be back in the next iOS update coming soon. Sorry for the long wait. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

I shouldn't have said "stupid" - they're clearly not stupid.  I shall correct myself 😉

I really hope this gets resolved.  CAncelled Spotify as mentioned, now subscribed to GS just for the playlist re-ordering. Quite nice backing the underdog - oh, and they feedback within minutes!

I agree with you, it is a basic and essential feature.   I'm not convinced they get it fixed this year.  Spotify development is SO SLOW & Interest level for this appears to be zero.  I can't see a single update from Spotify?  Great user support!

Hi - I started a new topic on this ... hoping to put the heat on Spotify: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod-Touch/Playlists-on-iOS-No-Reordering-custo...

Please give kudos, add your two cents or whatever so this gets some attention!

Thank you!

Mattsuda wrote---
Multiple devs work on the iOS team. In November one of the devs wanted this to be fixed right away, but as a group vote it got put off.
They had other major things to work on. The underlying structure of the app broke the ability to re-arrange song and made the app very messy and unstable with the newer updates. They did lots of work to fix this. I talked to one of the devs last week and he's certain it will be back in the next iOS update coming soon. Sorry for the long wait.
------------------------------------------------
Ok, I appreciate your loyalty to spotifuggle and your assistance here, but we have had these reassurances before (that it will be fixed soon etc). I assume they plan to fix before they are kicked of the iPhone by iTunes Radio? Also, what sort of 2 bit operation is this ? Why are devs voting on what should and shouldn't be done with the app? Seriously? No marketing? Management? And exactly what was so major and more important than fixing the underlying structure to support basic functionality?

If it's not back in the new update coming soon, then please come back and discuss.

One of the lead iOS devs told me it's in the next update. I don't know anything else. I don't work at Spotify. I just help out.

From what I hear, there should be some performance improvements in the update that allows the tracks to be re-arranged again.

The re-arrange tracks feature was getting really messy and made things unstable.

The method should be much improved in the new update from what I hear.

Don't take my word on it because I don't work for Spotify. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Ok thanks, appreciate your just passing on the message but I'll believe it when I see it. "The devs" originally said it was coming back in 2012 sometime. Might be an idea for them to release 2 apps, one that they want to build (seeing as it seems to be the devs who call the shots) and one that customers want that works on a basic level.

You're welcome! I don't mean any hard feelings, I'm just trying to help out. 😃

It should be coming back soon. I know it's been so long you guys won't believe it. =/

MattSudaSpotify Star

You should all consider yourself lucky that you had it at all. Us Android users never got this ability.

I assume [because they're a proper company] that they will be releasing the same functionality to the Android app and at the same time +/-a few weeks.

I have a Mac, iPad, iPhone etc but I also appreciate that the world does not revolve around iOS.  So, it would be a wise move, to ensure parity between the iOS/Android apps.

Suggested posts