Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cellular data turned off but Spotify still working

Solved!

Cellular data turned off but Spotify still working

When Spotify recently updated, my data started being used for Spotify even though in my settings, cellular data was turned off for Spotify. Why is this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey all!

Everything now looks good on our end. We'd recommend updating to the latest iOS version (7.4).

If you're still having any issues, let us know 🙂

View solution in original post

51 Replies

Are you a premium member?

Hey @Ehayes411, are you able to post back with what device you are running and what version of iOS you are on?

Are you able to give some sort of indication as to how much data was used over how long?

I'm having a similar issue. After the update the Spotify used 2 GB only in one day. I suspect the was the new feature Daily Mix, but I'm not using it.

Same problem for me with last Spotify version, iPhone 6 and IOS10.

I'm of course prenium with all my playlist sync to play them offline.

Spotify used close to 200mo of my cellular Data in 1 day for 2 hours to just play my offline playlist.

It's a huge problem even for me who have a big quota of Data, it can be awful for someone who have just 1GB quota. Spotify seems to use the data for nothing or new services i even never use.

Now i disabled the cellular data for spotify in iPhone settings, but it's really not comfortable when u want to listen a new song in cellular connection.

Hope it will be solved in next update and we will have some informations from spotify team that they are working on it.

I'm noticing a bit of heavy data usage as of late myself. @thibault06 did you have offline mode enabled in the Spotify settings?

Same problem here for the first time. I am a premium user for a long time and just noticed that from 1st of October until now , over 1,4Gb were consumed although I am listening to my playlists that are offline. So basically for this month i am screwed with almost no mb left til the end of month thanks to Spotify .
iPhone 6, ios10

@Swanny

I have all my playlist in offiline sync in the memory of my phone. And no i'm not in offline mode in spotify, cause i have to set on, each time I'm Wifi and it's not comfortable. I'm not against Spotify use little data in cellular connection like 10mo but like this...

I just disabled in settings > cellular connection the acces to spotify of my Cellular connection to stop the leak of my Data quota for nothing till it will be a solution from Spotify.

I'm a really lover of Spotify but really, even on desktop app or mobile app it's very often some bug, problems, sync issue etc... Is it hard for spotify to pay for software tester ? Give 3k by month to a guy to check each new version is impossible as I see.

The new fonctionnalities seems to have the priority to the quality of the application...

Cheers for the info. I've escalated this up to the staff as I'm noticing an abnormal amount of data usage for a downloaded playlist as well. Will let you know when I hear something back 🙂

Yes I have premium

Are you guys able to take screenshots of the mobile usage page, with timestamps, to indicate how much data has been used after doing a particular activity on Spotify?

I have already reseted the data usage and unchecked the cell data for Spotify, to make sure that was the Spotify App that was using my cell data.

As you can see my screenshot for the 06/10 day, it was 1h30 of just offline playlist playing. So you can easily imagine the amount of data if use for 5 hours...

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_1108.PNG

Thanks @thibault06, to clarify were your data usage statistics reset on 06/10?

Yes I reset the stats in iPhone settings the 06/10 to understood wich application took all my data connection.

I'm still go having the problem. In only 6 min the app used almost 100 mb and I was only listening downloaded songs.

You can see this on the screen shots, and note that my last songs was from downloaded playlists.

My version is 6.5.0.1665 as showed in the pic. I'm from Brazil and I have a premium account.

I also have already closed the app twice, as recommended.
IMG_0088.PNG
IMG_0087.PNG
IMG_0089.PNG

Version pic.
IMG_0086.PNG

the solution does NOT work.

For the moment, the only solution is to restrict data access on IOS10 settings and pray that someone will fix the problem.

BTW dont expect from the users to try and see if the problem persists. In Europe data packages cost a lot. So at the moment, after having 1,5GB spent out of my 2GB package, thanks to spotify, i dont even dare to open data access for spotify again in order to see if the problem is resolved (which isnt because it seems to appear on the latest September update).

Just fix the darn problem.

Hey guys, if you have a spare bit of data that you can spare, are you guys able to give these instructions a shot?

1. Reinstall the app.
2. Sync a playlist offline.
3. Activate the Offline Mode from the app settings (but make sure cellular data is enabled in the iOS Settings for Spotify when offline mode is activated in-app).
4. Activate the Airplane Mode of your Phone and play the playlist.
5. Then, deactivate the Airplane Mode and play the offline playlist once again.
6. Check if data is being used (before and after screenshots would be good here!)

I tested as you suggested. With the offline mode actived, the cell data are not used by Spotify. I redefined the statistics at 8:18pm and at 8:21 consumed 142 KB only. After this I deactivated the offline mode at 8:22pm, and at 8:23 the Spotify consumed 7.5 MB. Only 1 minute!! Pics attached.
IMG_0158.PNG
IMG_0159.PNG
IMG_0160.PNG

Suggested posts