Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I get the new features for the ios app

Solved!

How do I get the new features for the ios app

Ok, so firstly I have a second generation ipod touch running IOS 4.1. I currently run the "normal" spotify app. Anyway to get access to the new features like crossfade I thought I should download the IOS4 specific app since i cannot upgrade the current app (it requires IOS5). So should I delete my current spotify app and then install the one for IOS4? I tried downloading the IOS4 one whilst still having the "normall" app installed and it crashed after about 4 seconds of opening consistently so I deleted the IOS4 specific one. I am back at square one. Basically (crossfade is deffinately there if I sort out being able to use the IOS4 app, right?) i want to check because if I delete the "normall" app I will have to re-sync all my songs and this will be a huge hit on my bandwidth allowance. Secondly I do not want to go through all this hassle only to find the IOS4 app does not work and still crashes after deleting the normall app.

Sorry for the poorly worded question :L

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The iOS 4 app is a "legacy" version for us remaining iOS 4 users. I'm not saying that it won't be tweaked at all in the future, but development is focussed on the "standard" iOS 5 app.

As you have iOS 4.1, you will need to use the legacy app. It features "extreme" (~320 kbps) quality sync, but unfortunately doesn't feature gapless / crossfade.

>> I delete the "normall" app I will have to re-sync all my songs and this will be a huge hit on my bandwidth allowance

You will need to resync, but - if you have the chance at all - I'd recommend syncing over wi-fi. Then you won't be using any of your mobile bandwidth at all. (In fact, the apps are set, by default, to not sync over mobile data connection).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

The iOS 4 app is a "legacy" version for us remaining iOS 4 users. I'm not saying that it won't be tweaked at all in the future, but development is focussed on the "standard" iOS 5 app.

As you have iOS 4.1, you will need to use the legacy app. It features "extreme" (~320 kbps) quality sync, but unfortunately doesn't feature gapless / crossfade.

>> I delete the "normall" app I will have to re-sync all my songs and this will be a huge hit on my bandwidth allowance

You will need to resync, but - if you have the chance at all - I'd recommend syncing over wi-fi. Then you won't be using any of your mobile bandwidth at all. (In fact, the apps are set, by default, to not sync over mobile data connection).

okay then thanks, I'll change versions now. I totally understand you focusing on IOS5, especially since ipod/iphones as old as mine will be being replaced or breaking around this time. I hope the crashes of IOS4 will stop after I delete the normal app, and if not I guess I'll be posting again on this forum. Thanks for the response

Suggested posts