Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to play tracks randomly?

How to play tracks randomly?

I want to play tracks from Spotify totallly randomly? How do I do that? I use iPhone and iPad.
31 Replies

I'd also like to know this. Where is the "shuffle" mode?

Figured it out: 1. Click on double arrows to expand album artwork 2. Shuffle icon is shown beneath expanded album art

I do want to playlist All traks in Spotify randomly. I knowing how to control the shuffle functions. My question is how do I choose to play total randomly. Normally I know how to play an album via shuffle (randomly) but I don't know how to play all new tracks/songs randomly.

What I do is create a Playlist Folder from the file menu then put folders within it. When I select the Playlist Folder all the songs in the folders are listed. The entire list can then be played randomly.

But, again, is there a way; a randomizer app, maybe?; to make the entirety of the Spotify library a random playlist? There's a ton of apps available that offer some sort of curated list. What I want is a wholly UNcurated list. 'Seems like something some HTML5 genious could create; a crawler that coninually cycles through the entire Spotify library, until a second or so before the song your currently listening to ends, and then plays the song it lands on; regardless of genre; minus any curation algorythm; minus any filter what-so-ever. 

I absolutely agree my friend. An ipod can do this. Why can't spotify?????

Actually. I think I have it. 

Go to your library, select by track order. If you have any tracks that have a number in them, they are usually first. Then press play, your first track should play. Then hit the shuffle arrows button on the bottom right. It should shuffle all your tracks. It seems to be working for me here.

I don't want it to play just a random assortment of "my" tracks. I want it to play random tracks from the entire Spotify library. i.e. random tracks that I've never heard of should be just as likely to play as tracks that I have heard of.

Hi,

There are millions of songs in the whole of spotify, so unfortunately it is not possible to play random songs from the whole spotify library, due to the fact it would take a huge amount of data to even choose a song from the choice of millions, and it would be very CPU intensive for the computer/device to keep millions of songs (even just that many names) in the bufffer waiting to be chosen from.

Your best option would be to either find big playlists and copy them into one, or search for a letter like 'e' which will bring up a large selection of songs , and copy all the songs into a playlist, but bear in mind you won't be able to sync this offline as there is a 3,333 synced song limit on spotify.

Feel free to let me know if there's anything else 🙂

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

It's a bold claim to make to say that it's impossible to choose randomly from the spotify library.

Even if it is true. why can that website choose one song on random?

At least it should be possible to have spotify create a PURE RANDOM playlist from ALL of their content with a certain amount of songs. f.i. 10000. then we could listen to that and do a new one, once we are through.

I WANT THAT FEATURE. even better would be if I could exclude or include certain genres.

@Raphael303 wrote:

It's a bold claim to make to say that it's impossible to choose randomly from the spotify library.

Even if it is true. why can that website choose one song on random?

At least it should be possible to have spotify create a PURE RANDOM playlist from ALL of their content with a certain amount of songs. f.i. 10000. then we could listen to that and do a new one, once we are through.

I WANT THAT FEATURE. even better would be if I could exclude or include certain genres.

Hi,

I know it's quite a bold claim, but the likelihood of being able to filter through that many songs with just your PC is minimal. It would need that whole 192GB ram that Windows 7 allows 😛

However, if Spotify used part of the p2p service to make a random playlist out of their whole library for each country, that might work.

Good Idea nonetheless! Feel free to submit it to the Ideas section so Spotify are aware of it.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

I'm not interested in selecting random songs from the entire Spotify library, just my playlist, which contains about 450 songs.  Seems I will hear the same songs over again before hearing many others.  How to I set it where it will play all the songs (randomly) before replaying that same song again?  This includes stopping play (or pausing) and picking it back up a day later.

The radio function is perhaps the closest you get to what you want ,as of now, at least you can listen to random songs (random to a certain degree) and choose from a variety of genres.

^Was ment as a reply to Raphael303, but i hit the wrong button.

I have only one genre, so the radio feature will not help. Thanks anyway.

Your answer is not really the whole picture.
The spotify "Database" will contain a list of all the tracks.  It is not difficult for even an average programmer to come up with an algorythm that would allow a single random selection from the whole database.

Obviously this feature would require the track to be downloaded after the random selection.

There should also be an option to exclude any tracks the user has already in their library and more advanced a "No repeat" option especially if it were to be implemented in the RADIO options.

This is a very small ask in the scope of the Spotify community.  What a great way to discover new music. 😉

Would be interesting to hear a response from the developers.

Enjoying the Sound of Spotify

Simon.

I'm still using the generator that I mentioned almost a year ago.

Unfortunately, you have to press the button each time and so

you really can't walk away from Spotify for very long. Right now,

I'm listening to some Thai pop music that I wouldn't ordinarily get

to hear, so this is wonderful, but Spotify apparently doesn't feel

the need to add this option. It seems that it could start with the

overall random selection while refining it with more options later.

Otherwise, I really don't use Spotify unless I feel I can discover

something new - and that's now with the "Random Song Generator."

®ø∂

--- Now playing: Seun Kuti & Fela's Egypt 80 - Many Things

Also, I want to add that if Lane Jordan and friends

can create "Forgotify" - which basically randomizes

the 4 million unplayed songs on Spotify - then Spotify

itself should be able to randomize their own library as well.

I have the same frustration as many of you.  What is perplexing me unless I'm missing something: I can do much more on Spotify with my iPhone than my iPad.  On the phone, I ca select playlists, albums, etc.  On the pad, as far as I can tell, I can only select playlists (of course, an album could be a playlist) and only play the playlists in a given sort order.  There is no random.  If I use my phone to control my pad, I can accmplish the random play I want from a playlists, but there is nothing I can do if I only have my iPad to random play a playlist.  Am I missing something?

Suggested posts