Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to unsync a playlist? (Spotify is not giving back my data space)

Solved!

How to unsync a playlist? (Spotify is not giving back my data space)

Hi!
I have no more space dat on my iPhone because Spotify downloaded playlists are using some space, so what should i do? I already deleted some playlists on Spotify but is not giving me the space available again, i went to settings and even though i'm getting rid of some playlists and songs, The app is not giving me back the space, I refuse to clear all the data from spotify and lose all my synced playlists, is there away to get back my space data? I really need some space for other apps, i would love to know how to get my space data again, seems like i can't unsync a playlist, can somebody help me please? Thanks in advance...
80 Replies

This is still happening with me. Albums that I de-select from being available offline on my iPhone are not being removed. The only way is too delete the app and reinstall - which is crazy!

I'm using Spotify 2.4 on iOS 8.1

Basic answer is spotify is a piece of sh*t.  That is all.

Has anyone tried this recently? Seems to work now. I unsynced a few playlists on my phone and got some storage back. Using v3.2.0.1554 on iOS 8.3

Just came back to spotify after doing a couple of free trials on other apps. Was hoping that Spotify had got their act together by now but nope. Same as mentioned above; I select "remove download" and mark the album as not available offline and all of the tracks still sit here downloaded on my iPhone. My phone memory is pretty much full and I want to change some of the albums that I have saved. Do I seriously have to re-install the app and start from scratch each time?! It's crazy!

Sort it out spotify! And try listening to your users when deciding what features to work on and what bugs to fix!

Seems like it is still an issue, as I do face the issue now.

Can this be fixed please Spotify?

Thanks, 

Is there a fix yet? It's July, 2016.

This was fixed a long time ago... in fact with some patience, I realised it was never an issue and storage returned to normal by just waiting.

DOES NOT WORK!!! I have 10 songs left as 'available offline'....rebooted, logged out, rebooted and logged out, thrown my iPhone across the room, hexed the Spotify app and rebooted logged out shook my phone. NOTHING works. Spotify is giving me the big fat finger - "you have reached the maximum downloads". 10 songs, I repeat. 10. Not 3333. Not 10,000. And where's the 'Delete Cache' button??  Oh...that's right. It doesn't exist. Why pay for Premium? 

Greetings,

All the data you are asking for as in iOS version, app version, space used before and after, etc., are all nice but irrelevant. Could you please add a clear cache button that allows uses to simply clear the enormous cache tha Spotify creates, storing every single song played. Nike's moto states 'just do it', your users ask 'please just add a clear cached songs button'. Thank you! No need to respond to this request here, simply offer the button on an upcoming version of Spotify, yes you can include a warning along the lines of '... data usage will increase, are you sure you want to clear the cache'. Please give your users the option.

Thank you.

Clear cache button needed!
I just installed netflix and wanted to download a movie. So I checked my menory, I've got 380MB available on my iphone at the momement. Spotify is the app that takes the most space on my iphone, 1.5GB. When I wanted to download the movie I was told that there is not enough space on my phone. So I unsynced at least 5 playlists with each 50 songs. Spotify still takes 1.5GB and my phone free memory remained on 380MB.
When I retried downloading the movie in Netflix, I still had the same issue, no free space available. I guess netflix only checks the free space info and doesn't demand it, so spotify would free it.
The only solution that's left is to delete spotify. I don't want to delete it, because I still have albums that I want to listen to, and don't want to redownload them again.
A clear chache button would definitly make storage management on my iphone 5s 16GB so much easier!

Any solution yet? Please! 🙂
This thread is 4 years old. Or if clearing the cache is technically impossible, can someone from Spotify confirm that here?
Thanks.

what seems to work for me is after unsyncing a playlist, closing the app and then open it again and let it stay that way for a few minutes, a minute later it seemed to have cleared al the space used by the playlist. also, it seems that ios clears the space in use by the removed playlists whenever it's necessary

Solved: delete albums out of your library that aren't synced. The number of tracks on that album don't seem to matter. I'm pretty sure you can delete a one song EP that's not synced and then download a 3 album LP as long as you have the space for it on your device.

@Mattirw: This doesn't solve anything! Don't say solved if the problem is still there! We're not talking just about albums, it's about songs and playlists too. so your delete album solution does not help at all! Clear cache button is still the way to go!

it seems that if you delete a playlist, album or whatever, the storage isn't cleared until the iphone needs it. what does seem to work every time is delete a playlist and keep spotify in the foreground for a minute or so, and then check the storage.

I'm having the same issue. Have an iPhone SE. Have Spotify 8.4.8.467.
I have deleted about 10 of my playlists and only have 3 left (small playlists) and it's taking up 10.5gb of my phone storage. I have tried logging out of the app and restarting my phone neither of which have solved this problem.
I don't understand how this is still an issue when I can see users reporting it for years!!

the only way to delete the cache is by deleting and redownloading the app.
and if you have space on your phone, but it's saying you have too mich
music, then you need to delete a non-downloaded album from your library. so
library --> albums and then delete whatever you don't care about even if it
isn't downloaded. you should be able to download just after deleting an
album or two like that

the only way to delete the cache is by deleting and redownloading the app.
and if you have space on your phone, but it's saying you have too mich
music, then you need to delete a non-downloaded album from your library. so
library --> albums and then delete whatever you don't care about even if it
isn't downloaded. you should be able to download just after deleting an
album or two like that

This is a very simple question, please answer it....

I am not synching any offline music but the Spotify app is taking up every available bit of previously unused storage on my iphone (7GB/12GB). I don't want Spotify to use that much storage.

What is the solution?

You take my $10/month but the app does not work. Maybe you should refund my $10/month until you fix the app? 

Uninstall the app and reinstall it.
You’re welcome

Suggested posts