Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I Updated Spotify IOS 8.5.93.494 And...

I Updated Spotify IOS 8.5.93.494 And...

...I probably shouldn't have.

Longtime Spotify lover-user (desktop & IOS) since launching in Europe - Premium Account holder.   Ideally I'd like to revert to the last IOS version, but doubt thats possible.   The below relates to the new IOS iphone version 8.5.93.494.  

First curiosity, I'm wondering how the new 6 icons at the top of the new homepage work.  I understand they're shortcuts, but they dont seem to change, relate to a history, or are editable in any way - is that right?  Really would like to know.

Second confusion is more convoluted, but has left me dumbfounded...   maybe this is a Playlist rant, but bare with me (!)

My previous Spotify habits (IOS iphone) worked the same as I listened to physical albums or 45s (I know, I know).   I'd choose, play and leave some favourites out from a collection (Recently Played), and then put some back into the collection (Delete from the Recently Played).

Previously, the vertical & deletable Recently Played list worked great.  It kept a list of thirty or so recent fave listens, then swipe-press-delete as you like - enjoying your current choices as they morphed bit by bit.   

However the new format feels like getting pushed into playlist creation mode - probably so we dont listen to five albums & two singles all week...(i.e. Me).   

That I get.  But surely song 'Playlists' are a mixtape of songs for friends, or a party, road trip, or similar - i.e. a user Top 40 made for a different listening environment, with necessary variety.   Surely thats a different use/experience all together?  A playlist is definitely a function - but not how everyone listens.

Unfortunately, the 'delete your recent faves' option is now a deep-dive, single-song playlist manoeuvre - without the flexibility of the previous library page....THAT WORKED GREAT & WAS TOTALLY COOL.... and opened on launch.

So - end of rant & sadface - I'm curious if an editable, Recently Played/history will return, as I'm sure we'd love you ever more if it did....  It just seems so obvious.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

Cheers and Best,   

JL

1 Reply

Hey @zeeb2 ,

Thanks for taking your time to add your feedback to the Spotify Community. Firstly, I've passed your feedback across to the right folks for consideration in the future updates. Unfortunately it is not possible to downgrade back to an old version of Spotify. 

First curiosity, I'm wondering how the new 6 icons at the top of the new homepage work.  I understand they're shortcuts, but they dont seem to change, relate to a history, or are editable in any way - is that right?  Really would like to know.

These shortcuts are not editable as an end user they use history from your account and also other data sources in order to be personalised for you. Mine personally don't change that often however over time they have changed however not always over night, the majority of mine are areas that I use frequently within the app. 

So - end of rant & sadface - I'm curious if an editable, Recently Played/history will return, as I'm sure we'd love you ever more if it did....  It just seems so obvious.

You may have a recently played bar that appears on your Home Screen similar to this one that I have added in below, however it does not appear that this will be returning per this idea as it has now been 'Case Closed' meaning that the internal teams at Spotify won't be making any changes right now.

File.jpg

I hope that answers a few of your questions and rest assured feedback is constantly being monitored by Spotify to support with improvements and changes to the app. 

Have a lovely week ahead,

Suggested posts