Premium

Country

Malaysia

Device

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Operating System

IOS 15

My Question or Issue

After update my phone to ios 15 my spotify auto connect to other device volume setting for example my desktop.

I've try to force close the spotify app but however after some time its still auto connect back the volume ( I've check my background app  spotify was not running ) 

Top Answer
Yordan

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your inputs and patience so far.

Our tech folks are unable to provide an exact timeline for a fix at this moment.

In the meantime, there's this idea about keeping Spotify Connect's audio control separate from the device volume which you should check out and give a like to. Even though the idea is marked as Closed, it's still open for voting and we encourage to show your support if you'd like to see this feature implemented.

The Community is always here if something else comes up.

Take care.

153 Replies

This issue is still going on and it's extremely irritating. Spotify not working on my iPhone 13 pro, not even in background, fully closed. Just on pc.

My wifi is also disabled on phone, only Cellular is on. As i only listen to Spotify on my desktop (Windows), while I'm using phone, spotify suddenly sets the volume to max on my iphone, and god forbid if there's another application running on my iphone with sound, cause it makes my phone loudly play the sound which annoys both me and my co workers as it is a silent workplace.

I'm really scared to use my phone as I use Spotify on another device. This happens on my xbox too, not just windows pc. As I play xbox, suddenly sound level bar appears on my phone screen, immediately setting to max... so please, please, please fix your app Spotify...

Still happening for me. Any updates? Seems like this should've been an easy fix.

Glad to find out I'm not alone

You should either fix the digital crown turning the volume up to 100% or just discontinue the Apple Watch app altogether. I can't believe a company as big as Spotify is opening themselves up to this much liability. Good luck with the first lawsuit from someone you've deafened with your horrible app, it's only a matter of time at this rate.

Horrible issue, happening for years. I almost damaged my ears because spotify decided to blast full volume through my headphones. This at least should be a setting, I can't see how this is "expected" behavior, why would I want to have same volume level on different devices, doesn't make any sense. Disabling background app refresh for spotify looks like working workaround.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

As mentioned, this is excepted behavior, and we've passed along your feedback to the right team. 

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I’m sure that it is not intended, to change the volume to max at a fully random time when not using Spotify on the phone. But I can understand if it’s a side effect of a feature. 

Hey there,

I wouldn’t dream to talk about expected behavior when an app that is completely closed on my phone pops up from nowhere, sets the volume to the max, puts a non-responsive Spotify interface in the Lock Screen and stops the music all together  because my AirPods can’t understand anymore where I’m listening to my music.

Great job team!!

All my best,

Marco

Switching to Tidal HiFi plan solved the problem on my end. No more ”expected behavior” + lossless audio.

Maybe we’ll meet again when Spotify cares to fix this issue and launches lossless playback.

Wow. Claiming this is a non-issue is just outright insulting. The app's behaviour damages my ears, disturbs people around me when it happens in public (and it happens frequently), causes me stress whenever I take my phone because it just occurs totally randomly, and you just say it is an expected behaviour? Is this a joke, or you just don't understand what is happening?

I'll say it one last time:

WE ARE NOT LISTENING TO MUSIC AND THEN THE PHONE'S VOLUME IS MAXED OUT WHEN WE ARE OPENING ANOTHER APP THAN SPOTIFY.

In what universe can this be EXPECTED? Is your app designed to do pranks on people, or what? I thought it was supposed to play music, not FORCING YOU TO PLAY MUSIC WHEN YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR IT.

Say you are cooking some nice meal at your place. And then suddenly your car's alarm starts bursting very loudly, disturbing this entire neighbourhod. Would you say this is expected behaviour? Sure, having an alarm on your car is nice... when it can catch thieves. Not when you cook while no one is around your car.

I am seriously switching to another music streaming service. Spotify does not care at all.

Especially after the Joe Rogan thing. It's just on the wrong side.

A couple of things

If this is expected behavior kindly share the requirement that states that this is expected behavior.

also this did not occur in the past (First time I saw this was after getting a new phone and IOS15)

I seriously doubt that this can be expected:

I'm listening to music or something on my Alexa, spotify on my phone is NOT running, it's off, I've fully closed it, done everything short of uninstalling it to make it not run, yet after some time 5minutes, 10minutes, the phone connects to spotify and takes over the volume... It's NOT RUNNING ON MY PHONE, SPOTIFY IS OFF!!!!

please please please share the requirement of whatever it is you are claiming making this expected...

Now, after complaining - I'm actually not 100% sure tat I've seen this for a bit.. Do others still see this (it's possible that I'm so used to open spotify and close it over and over to avoid this from happening that I'm not seeing it for the moment)...

(Though if it's not happening anymore, I better not mention it or it might get "fixed"...

I think it's worth mentioning that I was a lifelong Android user and have had the Spotify app for years. I switched to iPhone not long before this happened and had no issue running Spotify elsewhere without my phone automatically connecting and taking control of the volume. But as soon as I updated to iOS 15, this began.

So no, this is not expected behavior, it sounds like a compatibility issue between the app and the latest version of iOS. As someone who has worked with software developers for years, I know how easily updates can break code and cause bugs and compatibility problems. So it's bizarre to tell everyone this is "expected" rather than have your developers locate the cause and work on a fix.

It seems pretty clear there is a community of folks with the same exact problem and one thing in common (the iOS version) so that might be a good place to start, rather than dismissing us all and implying we don't understand how your software is meant to work...

I have two bluetooth devices, one is my car, one is my headphone.

The default volume in my car is 100%, the default volume with my headphone is like 20% or so.

System remembers volume history by devices.

But Spotify watch app mixed the volume setting from my car to the headphone when i touch the crown which killed my ear.

I couldn't agree more.  This response is insulting.

I had to uninstall the spotify app on my iphone because it would randomly max out the volume of my white noise app while I was sleeping (even though Spotify wasn't even running/loaded).  Also IOS 15.

More than half a year passed since the reporting of the issue. Since then many complains arrived (6 pages on the forum) and nobody cares. Many apps has separated volume control on iOS. Silly games can do that. Why cannot the "amazing" Spotify team solve this issue for 7 months?

You tell that this is an expected behaviour. By whom? We don't need this, we didn't asked that. We wouldn't like to get crazy volume shift on our devices, iPads, iPhones etc. because of the Spotify apps.

Seeing as you insult us by using a copy and paste response, I shall do this too from a previous comment of my own. Please actually read it and actually comprehend it this time. It is NOT expected behaviour. It's getting beyond a joke that this has been stated multiple times now, and is constantly brushed off by Spotify staff. 

Previous comment: 

Hi there, 

No. You don't understand. It's adjusting the volume even when Spotify is not open on the phone. If it's open and playing JUST on my laptop, and not on my phone--not open in background either--it still adjusts the volume. The lockscreen setting is turned off. It is NOT open on my phone. I will be scrolling another app on my phone, spotify playing on my laptop but NOT OPEN on my phone, NOT IN THE BACKGROUND, and the volume will still jump up. Sometimes I don't notice it and then play a video that suddenly blares at full volume. That is not expected behaviour. I have commented a few times on this thread with my issue description so please read my previous comments over again thoroughly this time if you need to. (Capslock is for emphasis, not yelling.)

Iphone 13 Pro Max 
IOS 15.4.1
Spotify running on version 8.7.21

Has this issue been resolved yet? Tried every solutions I can find on Google but my phone is still able to control the volume on my Spotify desktop. I almost had a heart attack while I was browsing Instagram on my phone. It was so loud, despite my phone on silence and Spotify app not running in the background. 

It is so frustrating that I almost wanted to uninstall Spotify on my phone. I can't even browse other apps without having them on high volume, while Spotify is playing on other devices. It's crazy! 

P.S. My android phone is great though. Is it an Iphone issue or is it IOS 15?
My android phone is Google Pixel 4XL, running on android 12

Tried Spotify Connect for the first time today and very quickly ran into this issue. I am shocked - this is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I don’t want my phone to be on max volume the next time I open it because I used to to skip one song. Why does Spotify change my phones volume to that of the desktop app? I’d be fine with it if it was an in app thing but no, changing how loud the Spotify app on desktop it changes my phones system volume. Why. Just why.

Any update on this?   I literally can't use the spotify app on my phone until this is resolved.

Suggested posts