Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Latest client only shows subscribed artists in CarPlay UI, but shows all artists in device UI

Latest client only shows subscribed artists in CarPlay UI, but shows all artists in device UI

I just upgraded to the latest version of Spotify on my iPhone 6 today, and when I plugged my phone into my car stereo (a Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX) for CarPlay, I discovered that not all the artists whose music I have in my Library now appear when I select "Your Music" -> "Artists" via the CarPlay UI. They all appear via the iPhone's main display. I initially thought the app was suffering from metadata corruption, so I removed and reinstalled it on my iPhone, but the problem did not correct itself. If I go instead to "Your Music" -> "Albums" in the CarPlay UI, all the albums I have music from in my Library seem to appear. The only artists that appear in the CarPlay UI under "Your Music" -> "Artists" are the ones I've subscribed to, which is different than prior behavior.

61 Replies

Hi @demonfoo, maybe try this as a troubleshoot:

• Deselect all artists in Your Music.
  • Close, and restart the app.
  • Manually add Artists to Your Music once again.

Let us know if this helps

Doesn't help, same problem.

That did not help. I unsubscribed from them all, force closed the app, and reconnected to my car stereo. Now nothing shows up at all in "Your Library" -> "Artists". I even tried deleting and reinstalling the app again with no subscribed artists, and it still shows absolutely nothing. All the albums still appear under "Your Library" -> "Albums", but there is nothing under "Your Library" -> "Artists" when in the CarPlay UI, period. I haven't re-added the subscriptions yet. I'm still running iOS 9.3.5 on my iPhone.

I'm having the same issue on iOS 10, quite clearly an application bug that should be easy to reproduce.

I'm disappointed that the CarPlay UI isn't getting eyes-on testing (I can only assume, since the new release seems to have missed this breakage) with each new release. Isn't there a simulator for the CarPlay UI for just this sort of thing?

Also, in the CarPlay UI, currently only about half the albums I have in my "Library" show up (it cuts off in the Ms). Also also, if I choose "Your Library" -> "Songs", it goes into it briefly, shows a few items, then immediately bounces back to "Your Library". I've tried repeatedly and it never stays there. This is pretty disappointing.

Edit: I did try removing and reinstalling the Spotify app from my phone again, and it likewise made no difference.

I think if this doesn't get fixed soon, I'll just cancel and switch to Apple Music permanently. Hopefully we see Google Music released soon.

@Shaze @demonfoo hang tight, I'm looping in some of the Spotify Rock Stars for their advice on this one, thanks.

Please do cause I'm with the guy above. If this problem persists I'm gonna have to roll with the dreaded itunes music as well. 

@user-removed @demonfoo @Shaze can you please send through some of the following so we can properly assess:

• Spotify app version
  • Account type (Free/Premium)
  • Device and operating system (e.g. MacBook Air, 10.10 OSX)
  • Any screenshots that help explain the issue

To be clear, this is a Carplay issue not a laptop issue. Artists only shows Followed Artists not Library Artists. 

Premium account

Spotify 6.5.0

iOS 10.0.2

@swellrdr5 Erm, I'm pretty sure I already pointed these out before...

App version: 6.5.0

Account type: Premium

Device and OS: Apple iPhone 6/iOS 9.3.5 + Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX (CarPlay) + firmware 1.01

I can't take screenshots on CarPlay, but as other people are corroborating my statements, I'd imagine running the app on a CarPlay test rig should provide you with all you need. If not, I'll take pictures.

I didn't give the info on my car's headunit.

System: Kenwood Excelon DNX893S

App version: 6.5.0

Account type: Premium

Device and OS: Apple iPhone 6S/iOS 10.0.2

I'm using the latest public iOS version, with the latest Spotify App version (with Premium). I have a 2016 Honda Civic and am using the stock hardware in the car to connect the phone using CarPlay.

Like the others here (with different setups) I am seeing a number of different issues with the Spotify interface over Carplay, which are as following:

- The full list of Artists/Albums does not show up, and stops/cuts off after 40 or so.

- When launching the app through the Carplay interface, sometimes the display appears blank or doesn't load.

- Sometimes Apple Music resumes autoplaying rather than Spotify which was last played. When you try to launch the Spotify App and select a song nothing happens and Apple Music continues to play.

- After taking a call or responding to an SMS message using Siri, Spotify will resume playing where it left off for 30 seconds or so, then just stop. This doesn't always happen and is more intermittant than the others above.

Finally as I may have a small audience with Spotify developers, here are some simpyl features/enahancments I would like to see in future versions. Let me know if there is a better forum to post them.

1. Proper Siri integration. I should be able to say Siri play X song or album or playlist using Spotify. It's possible now with iOS 10, and we see Skype and others already with updates that alllow for better Siri integration.

2. Shuffle all Artists or Albums. You can already do this with songs, but why not have a playlist or function in Artists and Albums that creates a random playlist of popular songs from the Artist or Albums in your account.

3. What happened to the list of new albums released by an artist in a nice little area of the application? It used to be everywhere, and then was only available in the web based player, and now it's not available anywhere. You did add those new playlists that look to have some of the same content, but it's not the same. Bring back the one key feauture I loved about Spotify or I cancel and switch to Google or Apple.

Just wanted to say, I am also experiencing the same issues. 

Latest spotify version

iOS 10.1  beta

iphone 6

2016 Vokswagen Golf 

Just to say I do have the same identical problem as described in the OP's post.

My biggest complaint is regarding the Artists view; such view is displayed correctly in the Spotify iPhone app (> 100 Artists) and I only see four (4) artists in the Carplay Artists list 😞 ...

Just bought my new 2016 Skoda and the Carplay Spotify Artists view is probably the most important feature of the car after the ability of the car to tansport myself from A to B.

PLEASE SPOTIFY FIX THIS ASAP !!!

iOS 10.0.2

iPhone Spotify App Version 6.5.0

2016 Skoda Carplay

I've also encountered the "playing too fast/double-speed" problem, but I've also encountered that with a Bluetooth speaker I bought recently. That seems to be a more general problem with the app (possibly not setting the output path's sample rate every time it unpauses?), and not specific to CarPlay. Either way, really should be fixed.

Hey gang, some additional troubleshooting tips to try, per the Rock Star folks:

We'd like to gather some more info about this and possibly get it reported, so you could ask them if the same happened with older app versions.

Also, you can ask them to try using a different device like other iPhone or an iPad. Finally, if they connect via Bluetooth, try resetting the connection between the phone and the car.

Let us know if this steps above make any difference.

Hi Swelldr5,

I really appreciate the gesture, but your seemingly lack of understanding of theses problems described makes your reply pretty offensive.

First: There is no way to downgrade an app on iOS, so no one here can really test if it works better on an older version. Maybe someone can speak from experience in the past, but given the sampling in this thread it appears most of the problem described are very easy to reproduce.

Second: CarPlay on iOS is done using a wired cable only, so the idea that a Bluetooth connection could be somehow a cause seems a bit ignorant. That said I've turned Bluetooth off on my phone and all of of the problems described in this thread still persist.

I have personally seen this problem on my wife and friend's 6S, my old 5S and 6, and just to humor you I tried my iPad mini and 3rd generation devices and they all have the same problems.

I look forward to getting a more detailed response going forward.

Suggested posts