Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Major issue in iOS 7 beta 3...

Solved!

Major issue in iOS 7 beta 3...

Anytime volume is adjusted in beta 3, the app crashes immediately. Works fine up until then.

Added note by MattSuda: 

Also -- the ability to re-arrange tracks (added in version 0.7.1) is not working in IOS 7 beta 3. When in "edit mode" the playlist view is bugged.

143 Replies

Hardware: iPhone 5

Software: iOS7 Beta 4

When turning the volume up and down it is still crashing the app. This has been occurring since Beta 3. Spotify: Can you release a fix for this?!?

Issue also happens in radio.

IOS 7 Beta 4 is out. Issue is still very much present. It would be nice to see an update from spotify, since this is likely to still be an issue once the non beta is released. Why not fix the problem now before IOS7 drops for the general public???

@paulthorson wrote:

Hardware: iOS7 Beta 4

When turning the volume up and down it is still crashing the app. This has been occurring since Beta 3. Spotify: Can you release a fix for this?!?

You seriously think that software support for beta OSes should be prioritised? Which planet did you come from?

I personally think getting the app working correctly on all devices (beta or otherwise) should be prioritized over adding new features to the broken app.

I just installed iOS 7 Beta 4 and this is still a problem. Either Apple didn't do anything about such bugs or maybe this is a problem on Spotify's side. This is a huge problem and REALLY NEEDS TO BE FIXED!

I have the same problem.

Yes. I do think this should be taken care of promptly jwylot. I come from a planet called Xonar, a planet where we are immune to sarcastic comments from people trolling message boards.

In iOS 7 Beta 4 The problem is still there! 😞

I see this is your second post in the community, paulthorson. Was you first post as asinine? Maybe once you learn how to use the forum tools, you'll realise just how inapt your comment was.

Sure, spotify needs to work with iOS 7 but, unless I'm mistaken,  public release isn't due until September and the whole point of a beta release is to enable developers test and modify code as necessary. Meanwhile we have many folk who are having problems with the existing software or asking for additional features across all platforms.

So saying crap like "taken care of promptly" really doesn't make much sense to me.

Sure, spotify needs to work with iOS 7 but, unless I'm mistaken,  public release isn't due until September and the whole point of a beta release is to enable developers test and modify code as necessary. Meanwhile we have many folk who are having problems with the existing software or asking for additional features across all platforms.

Umm, yes, that is exactly what the development beta is. And last I checked, the developers at Spotify are developers that would want to test and modify code in BETA well BEFORE iOS7 hits retail. In fact, this is exactly the kind of thing the iOS beta is intended for, for app developers to find the issues with their code and fix it. 

Now, Spotify has stated that they know of the issue and that there are trying to fix it. Lets not start getting mad at each other over pixels, and just wait patiently for Spotify to give us an update.

SPOTIFY - You have officially reached the end of my patience. It's been three, **bleep**ing, weeks. I have influenced countless people at just my agency to buy in to you guys, let alone my friends. But this is insanity. You don't even ACKNOWLEDGE this issue. Throw your customers a bone, man!! Do you understand how insulting that is to people paying you for a service?? You owe me a god da mned answer!

I'm going to end up canceling my premium subscription over this.

Dear aaronshupp you have my full respect. But please read up on what Beta software means. It's not finished and is not working fully. The only reason to run the beta version is to test the new features of iOS and the apps you yourself develops. Beta software is never meant to run in a production environment. Only for testing purposes.

Spotify as a third party developer should not be blaimed for any problems when you're using beta iOS. Apple controls the iOS beta and makes changes as they see fit.

If you don't have the patience and/or understanding for beta software please don't run it on your devices.

I have learned to adjust the volume before i start Spotify (and sometimes I need to do it and it crashes but I just smile, relaunch and think "I'm gonna be so happy when this get fixed for the final iOS 7 version".

Best regards,

Sebastian

All points valid. Yes we risked thinks breaking when we updated to beta OS software.

But the point stands. The point in Apple or any other software distributor in releasing beta software is so these can be ironed out before public release.

I don't think anyone is annoyed that the problem has occurred. It's to be expected that a service as complex as spotify suffers somewhat.

It's annoying that it's been a month or so now and there has been no official word on a fix.

Doubly so that this is a paid subscription. And some of us use the beta to make our own apps not to jump on a bandwagon.

Xev not only am I a developer of old, but I'm the interactive director at a big ad agency.

This is a ridiculously high-level system function conflict and it's embarassing, if nothing else, that they haven't patched it for us yet.

Sorry for the disrespect, but I addressed my issue to Spotify.

I use this app two places — hard-wired with a device cable in my Cooper S, and at home through a BT speaker. In the car, if I even THINK about bumping the "Now Playing" bar, BAM CRASH. I get home, wait forever for the stupid Discover tab to load (which of course the app defaults back to everytime I open it, seeing as though the only reason it was closed is because it CRASHED), finally get music playing... oh, it's a hair too loud BAM, CRASH. Now multiply that by ten, everyday for the past four weeks. It's like a joke at this point.

All — I keep waving the "agency" point around to emphasize that I am absolutely not a stranger to either beta software or developing for upcoming platforms. But I also know how to not completely disenfranchise customers. Spotify could have taken a few hours 4 weeks ago to just PATCH THE CURRENT VERSION to fix this glitch. We get it, they're probably working on a major new version all dapered up for the new iOS 7 style. Great! But for sh1t's sake, you don't just abandon a chunk of users in the meantime. Especially when you have over a hundred complaints about it.

Sebastian - Sorry dude, seriously. I'm just really upset with Spotify. This has been a very long running disappointment and I was sooo pleased with their service for almost a year prior.

aaronshupp I'm sorry that I offended you. It was not my meaning. I was under the impression that you did not have development knowledge but I'm terribly sorry that I missunderstood you. I gave my point of view and I apologize for writing it in suchs strong language (it was not my meaning to give out a lesson, just my point of view).

My view still stands however: Beta software is buggy and is usually never supported. I respect this more than anything (I have alot of faith in the ways of software development and how it should be done, maybe too much - you be the judge).

I will be extremely happy when the issue is fixed since I use Spotify on iOS several times a day 🙂 I'm confident that they will fix it but I know that I probably must wait until the final iOS 7 is released.

Please note that anyting I write is my view on this particular subject and not to be seen as the definitive answer in any way.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Exactly.  I am posting in this message board section ( one that addresses iOS issues ) that there is still a major bug that affects a critical part of this app... it's ability to play music.  I am beta testing iOS7 and I am letting the group know that there is still the same issue that was apparent in iOS7 beta 3.  How is my post rediculous and how is asking for a fix an extradinary request?  If i was a app developer and my app was not working on an O/S I would want to address the issue promptly.

@jwylot wrote:

@paulthorson wrote:

Hardware: iOS7 Beta 4

You seriously think that software support for beta OSes should be prioritised? Which planet did you come from?

Uh, yes.  I pay them $10/month.  I expect their app to be rock solid when the final release occurs.  The OS is beta, why would you expect that their app should not be keeping up?  Just when do you expect they will get around to actually fixing this problem?   I killed my sub with Slacker because they are a bunch of morons who ignored their customers.  So, my $10/mo. hangs in the balance.  They need to fix this or else.  Is that "serious" enough for you?  Maybe that should be "prioritised" at a very low level because income means nothing?  You are an idiot.

Calling people names hardly adds weight to your argument.

I've been running iOS 7 from beta 1 to beta 4. Spotify has never missed a beat. My wife has been running iOS 7 since beta 3 and she experiences the issues discussed in this thread.

This isn't a universal issue. So, without access to the iOS and Spotify source code there's no way you can say where the issue lies or whether Spotify, iOS or both need changes to resolve the issue.

But all that aside. Spotify offer their service based on the latest released version of iOS, as do all developers. As a developer you can do no more than this. You can't be chasing your tail changing and releasing your app based on unreleased beta versions of an OS. It's far too time consuming and costly. The best you can do is work with the beta software yourself, test your app internally. Make internal changes and file bug reports. What you can't do is release these changes as it may cause further untold problems 'in the wild' further damaging your customer base.

Anyone that installs the beta version of iOS is given a wealth of information stating that it is not for everyday use, it's for development purposes to enable you, as developers, to test your applications. No further warranty than that.

Rolling out the 'premium customer' argument is toothless. What you're doing is unsupported. The answer to your woes is not to use beta software on your everyday device. If you do you must expect and more importantly, accept issues. By all means file bug reports. But shouting, screaming, rattling your sabre and generally threatening the app supplier is serving only to highlight your shortcomings, not theirs. Until iOS 7 is released to the general public your argument is empty and toothless.

The simply answer is use iOS 6 for your everyday, Spotify loaded device.

@paulthorson wrote:

Exactly.  I am posting in this message board section ( one that addresses iOS issues ) that there is still a major bug that affects a critical part of this app... it's ability to play music.  I am beta testing iOS7 and I am letting the group know that there is still the same issue that was apparent in iOS7 beta 3.  How is my post rediculous and how is asking for a fix an extradinary request?  If i was a app developer and my app was not working on an O/S I would want to address the issue promptly.

By all means, report the bug, but if you were a developer you'd understand that you cannot release a 'fix' against an ever moving beta OS.

Even if you can identify the issue you may be able to identify a fix or you may be stuck because there is an API bug in iOS or one of a thousand other reasons out of your control. In this case, as a developer, you file a bug report with Apple. If you were a developer you'd know this.

The most that can be expected of Spotify at this point is an acknowledgement of the issue.

I'm sorry - but I had to register on the forums to address the ridiculous sense of self-entitlement that this thread contains.

iOS 7 is a developer preview - for use on **dedicated development devices** so that you can test, and here's the killer, YOUR OWN APPS. It's not for you to install on your normal devices and then whine to developers that you want their software fixed. Don't like that you can't use spotify in iOS 7? Tough. Go back to using iOS 6 and stop using iOS 7 in ways that the development agreement you signed with apple doesn't allow.

Going by the way you're talking, I guess none of you moaning are actually developers - just users who want to use the latest stuff. If you were developers you'd understand this - there's NO point fixing bugs in beta 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. If a bug is present in the GM it should be fixed - but with the amount of stuff that changes between betas - if you start fixing every little issue you're going to a) be chasing your own tail and b) introduce more bugs which may be present in later versions.

If spotify fixed this bug, and then apple fixed te API, spotifys fix may break the new API, so it'd need to be fixed again. Get the picture?

Plus - even if they wanted to fix it - you can't submit iOS 7 apps until the GM drops (again - if you were developers you'd know this).

Installing beta software on your daily phone is stupid. Do so at your own risk, but don't go bitching to developers when stuff don't work.

Sent from my mobile - please excuse any typos.

Suggested posts