Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My Apple TV isn't seen from the same Wi-Fi in Spotify Connect

My Apple TV isn't seen from the same Wi-Fi in Spotify Connect

It used to work, and then some weeks ago, it suddenly stopped working.
I've tried reinstalling Spotify everywhere, rebooting the apple TV (which is on the latest firmware), the router.
From my laptop, I can ping the Apple TV IP, and traceroute says it's a single hop.
It works if I pair the Apple TV, and use it as a device "Not on the network", but then only I can use it and others can't.
It's the same issue from any (5 different) devices to the Apple TV, but it works fine between other devices on the same network, so it seems it's not the network.
With other Apple TV apps, local networking work correctly (e.g. with VLC)
10 Replies

By the way: I've tried with the Apple TV connected via LAN or Wi-Fi with the same result.

Hey there @ewjoachim

Thanks for reaching out about this and welcome to the Community. 

Great troubleshooting steps so far! We can add a few more steps to make sure we've covered all bases. Having said that, would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your devices to see if they can replicate this behavior? 

On another note, although there's no more issues with the network, it's always worth trying with a completely different one so we can rule out that the issue is related to that. In this case, you can try creating a hotspot on your phone to test this out.  

Lastly, could you recall when this started happening? Was it after a specific event such as un update? 

We'll be waiting for your reply.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Great questions !

My friend who usually controls music when he’s home was unable to do it the other day (feb 19th). 

My partner says it probably started somewhere around half of january but with low precision. It worked on Christmas, and it stopped working at some point later. There’s no obvious change on my side that could have caused this.

Just tried setting up the apple tv on my iphone’s tethering connection and the iphone would still see the apple tv as « on other networks », and not see it if I’m not logged in.

Hey @ewjoachim,

Thanks for your reply and the additional info.

Would it be too much to ask to reset the TV to its factory settings to see if that makes a difference? 

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I tried that and it didn't work. I was typing a full summary of what I've tried, and then had a flash: is it because of IPv6 ?

I disabled IPv6 on my mac laptop and bang, the Apple TV showed up locally.

For now, I've disable IPv6 on my ISP router. It worked before, now it doesn't, and at some point in the future, I think it's better if I can switch it back on, plus... apparently that didn't work on my partner's iPhone, which still doesn't see the Apple TV.

So, I can access the Apple TV with Spotify Connect through the local network without having to pair and she can't (and I had to switch off ipv6 which is, I guess, a temporary solution). It used to work flawlessly.

What now ?

Thanks for your patience

This has been happening at my house since around mid January as well. We have to log out and re-pair with Apple TV EVERY TIME WE WANT TO LISTEN TO MUSIC!!!! We’re considering the switch to Apple Music as I don’t foresee Spotify fixing this. We’re still waiting on them to fix things from literal years ago. 

Hm, even without ipv6, it still doesn't work. I tried with another family member today and their iphone 15 pro, on the wifi, ipv6 is off, and it won't work, so it's not just a question of ipv6.

Hey folks,

Apologies for the late reply.

To narrow this further down, can you try connecting the devices to a hotspot as suggested by @Eni above? If this works and your router is dual band, make sure that all devices are connected to the same frequency band (either 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz).

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Can you give a bit more instruction here? How do I create and hook these things up to a hotspot? How do I see what band they’re on? How is any of this different than two months ago if I’ve not had any hardware changes?

Hey there @newgreyarea

Thanks for your reply. 

When you create a mobile hotspot what happens is that your phone creates a WiFi network using your mobile data. You can then connect your other devices to that WiFi. To do so, you need to check in your phone settings where this option is located, but generally it's under "Connections" > Mobile hotspot. If you turn that option on, your other devices should detect it as an available network and connect to it without any problem. 

On another note, to check what frequency band your device is on, you need to go to the WiFi settings on each device and you should be able to see this info there.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts