Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Not able to sync offline tracks with iPod Nano

Not able to sync offline tracks with iPod Nano

I know this has been addressed in this forum before, but I'm very frustrated with Spotify's inability to sync offline tracks to the iPod nano. Syncing offline tracks to mobile devices is one of the main reasons I purchased a Spotify Premium subscription. Is this feature in the works for future Spotify updates.

6 Replies

Where streaming music is concerned, Spotify relies upon a kind of "closed system". It needs to do this so that all plays can be logged, and rightsholders can be compensated, and so that access to the music can be controlled. Streaming music can only be synced to Spotify apps.

If it were possible to sync streaming music to a device that does not support a Spotify app (eg iPod Nano) then you would be able to walk off with as many tunes as you like for the payment of one month's subscription. I'm not sure if any artist or composer would be happy with that idea.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a songs play count on my iTunes app readjusts every time I sync my iPod, does that not mean that the iPod is keeping track of how many times a song is played back? Why can't Spotify have this same ability for logging purposes?

Also, when I rent a movie for use on my iPod touch from itunes, I can't simply turn off the 3g and walk away with a library of discounted movies. After a certain time period the movie files will be erased from my ipod. Isn't it possible to have something like a two week planned erasure? That way all I'd need to do is re-sync my iPod with my Spotify Premium account every 14 days.

I'm not a programmer, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. I just don't understand why this feature can't be available on what is an otherwise fantastic app.

Whopish24, I find it interesting how neither moderator Sam or anyone else from Spotify has provided you with a reply to your valid follow-up question. I can see Sam´s view here, but still - you bring up some very interesting points and it´s a shame that Spotify didn´t even bother with a simple answer.

"Customer support" can be such an easy job if you´re just willing to simply ignore the "difficult" questions.

I would guess the timing/track playback limit that is being suggested here would have to be built into the software of the device. Since the operating system is made by Apple and not Spotify, then it would be difficult to get it implemented in a way which isn't prone to abuse, since those files would need to be protected in some way from changes to reset the counters. 

The "idea" of allowing this kind of activity for premium subscribers is discussed over on the Ideas Exchange here too if you want to add your kudos and comments of support there. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I also have an Ipod Nano, would like to listen to the music from Spotify (offline) and would be happy to pay for it!

Totally disappointed that when you pay for a premium account where you 'falsly' supposed te hear the music offline

you won't be able to put it on your ipod player 😞

So paying for a premium account AND paying for a VERY expensive player that's TOO big AND heavy just

to get started...

Sadly NOT an option for me...

I feel the same. I want to give to my elder child an ipod nano to listen music and i can sync with spotify. I don't want to buy an ipod touch because I don't want free  internet for a girl. Is Spotity going to resolve this problem?

Suggested posts