Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPhone XS, Chromecast 2nd generation

Operating System

iOS 12.2

My Question or Issue

Since the last update of Spotify, I encounter the following issue: I am casting Spotify to my Chromecast, and when I open the Spotify app on my iPhone again (for example to change the song), the connection to the Chromecast drops and I need to connect again to the Chromecast. This is hugely annoying, as music stops almost every time I open the Spotify app and it takes time to reconnect again to the Chromecast. Please fix this.

thanks

14 Replies

Just to clarify - this happens when "Devices Lock Screen" option in Settings / Devices is disabled.

When the option is enabled, there are no issues, but then Spotify drains the iPhone battery way too quickly.

Hi, I have the exact same issue. In Settings / Devices, I have turned off "Devices Lock Screen", as this drains battery too quickly (as it keeps connection between iPhone and Chromecast on all the time). Since the Spotify update from around a month ago, when music is already being cast from the iPhone to Chromecast, almost every time I unlock my phone and open the Spotify app, music stops and the iPhone Spotify app is disconnected from the Chromecast, so I need to connect again. This happens with both my Chromecast Video and Chromecast Audio. On the Chromecat Audio, when I open the Spotify app on my iPhone while music is already playing, I can hear "Sorry, the music stopped because your Spotify account is being used on another device", which is not true. On the Chromecast Video, when opening Spotify on the iPhone while music is playing, music just stops and the Chromecast Video stops showing the Spotify screen and reverts to the Chromecast Home screen.

Spotify, please fix this.

I have an iPhone XS, latest Spotify iOS app, Chromecast Video 2nd generation and Chromecast Audio

Same issue.  This was working and is now broken and super annoying.

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community about this.

Just to confirm, does this only occur when using your iPhone devices connected to your Chromecast? 

We'd recommend connecting devices on a different internet connection to see if the issue persists. If it works with another connection, we recommend contacting the service provider of the original network for more information.

If you haven't tried already, we'd also suggest performing a clean reinstall of the app on your devices. You can find the steps on how to do so in this Spotify Answer.

It'd be also helpful if you could give it a try using a different Spotify account, if possible, to see if that does the trick.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here should you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi, I have tried all of the above and the issue still persists unfortunately.

And to your question - yes, this only occurs when using my iPhone connected to my Chromecast.

Please fix this.

It also happens for me on Android (Oneplus 6T).

I am typically casting to some chromecast device using my Google Home devices.

When I open the spotify app the music stops playing on Chromecast and starts playing on my phone instead. I think it is more likely to happen when the Spotify app has not been opened since I started casting or when I have a bluetooth headset connected.

Same issue here. Both me (LG V30) and my brother (Moto G5 Plus) experience the same thing, whether at my house or at my parents'.

I also have this problem. It is recent. Spotify worked great with my audio chromecast without any hiccups while streaming for the past year. Now, every hour or so, Spotify will stop streaming/playing and I will have to reconnect to the chromecast device. My device locks after three minutes, and it stops regardless of whether I unlock the device. I've reset the chromecast, and my internet speed is 200Mbps so it's not that. When it stops, the chromecast still appears to be connected to my network; it just says that nothing is playing. Other streaming services, like KCRW, work fine while streaming to the chromecast, so I believe it's related to Spotify, especially since Spotify worked well previously. I've also reinstalled the Spotify app on both my iPhone 8 and the desktop. Please fix this.

To add to this, I streamed through the KCRW app to my chromecast audio and it played without stopping. I'm pretty sure the issue is with Spotify communicating with chromecast audio. Again, this is a recent issue in the past two months. Thanks.

This seems to be an old problem, but this started happening to me since about 3 weeks ago.

I use a Chromecast Ultra (firmware v1.42.183786) with iPhone7 (software version 13.4.1).

When reconnecting to Chromecast (to change a song or adjust the volume) the playing song stops and I have to click on Play again.

Yeah, old problem with no response from Spotify. I just canceled my Spotify subscription because of this. Unfortunately it seems that e. g. Youtube Music has similar issues with Chromecast Reconnection.

I uninstalled the Spotify app from my android phone, restarted the phone and then reinstalled it. So far it is behaving again! 

Same here. The problem appeared couple weeks ago. I usually play music on my google home devices, so it’s not streaming, they play on their own. But every (almost every) time I open the app on my iPhone the music stops and I have to activate it by voice. Extremely annoying

Problem is still persistent for me. I've tried all solutions. This only occurs with Spotify. I've not had this issue with Soundcloud.

Suggested posts