Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback Failed - We’re not able to play this video in your current location.

Playback Failed - We’re not able to play this video in your current location.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone X

Operating System iOS 13.7

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Continuing to get the error message on different podcasts I've downloaded :

"Playback Failed - We’re not able to play this video in your current location."  Notably the Joe Rogan Experience.  I can still listen on Apple Podcasts, but come Dec. 1, I won't be able to, any more.  This error message occurs on other podcasts I listen to, but intermittently - also, I am not trying to play video; I only use Spotify for music/podcast AUDIO.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app, made sure my location is set to USA. I'm not sure what other things I can do. Please help!

IMG_2746.png
Top Answer
Mihail
Spotify Legend

Hey @slch000,

Thanks for reaching out.

Provided that videos are available in your area, keep in mind that VPN should be turned off to ensure a smooth experience with the playback of videos. 

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

30 Replies

If the episodes can't be played on spotify they will get pirated. Be sure to keep an eye on reddit for the links 😉

Hey everyone,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this.

We've recently rolled out new versions for the Spotify app across all devices. If you're still experiencing this issue, a new clean reinstall on the affected device is a good idea. We recommend this step since it'll get you the latest app version with all necessary updates and remove any corrupted files from previous installations.  

We'd love to investigate this further! We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Uninstalled spotify, rebooted, installed latest (8.5.83.1075) - behavior
remains the same.
With vpn getting the error "Video can not be played in your current
location". Without - fine.

Hey @slch000,

Thanks for reaching out.

Provided that videos are available in your area, keep in mind that VPN should be turned off to ensure a smooth experience with the playback of videos. 

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It has been solved. Which was of course inevitable. Just browse big online forums and you will find what you seek. Spotify get**bleep** together...

I'm using a VPN that egresses FROM the US and despite also being physically located in the US as well, I still get this error with podcasts. Spotify is clearly blocking VPNs from podcasts and maybe even music, who knows. Oh well, yet another nail in the coffin for this service. Ridiculous.

Spotify are scum bags making people shut off their VPNs just so the app works. 

Looks like this was my issue as well. 

The weird aspect of this is I still use Norton for my VPN and I'm in the US and the music plays fine no issues. Now using any podcasts Spotify makes a premium user disconnect from their OWN VPN to play a podcast? Its pathetic and a breach of privacy on Spotify's part.
Also a comment from way back said to perform a factory reset of the phone. I tried that and still Spotify blocks me from listening to podcasts while my VPN is connected.
Joe Rogan should ditch spotify and take all his money with him.

So spotify is blatantly saying you do not support personal privacy. You want to track us in order to use your service? 

Spotify turned off your likes on this post but i said the exact same thing.

Turning off my VPN worked for me.  That was the issue for both mobile and desktop playback.  Thanks again Elena!

Suggested posts