Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist starts over from beginning every time I connect to bluetooth.

Playlist starts over from beginning every time I connect to bluetooth.

Hello,

Here's the problem: Playlists start over and play the same track order, even when on shuffle, when I connect them to bluetooth and it finishs playing whatever song it was in the middle of when previously turned off.  

If I have a playlist with 5 songs then we'll call them tracks A,B,C,D, and E. Shuffle is on, so we'll order them as B, E, A, C, and D. Let's say I'm out running errands and I've made it half way through track C when I get to a stop.  When I start my car back up, it will finish track C, then instead of playing track D in that shuffled order, it starts back at B, then E, A, C, D again.  The shuffle order never changes, and it reverts back to the beginning.  I like to make my own playlists and then keep them on shuffle at all times.  That's pretty much the only way I use Spotify.

Now imagine one of my larger playlists, with a couple hundred songs.  I had a playlist going in my house for an hour while doing some work, then got in my car, drove off, and the same 20 songs of my supposedly "random" playlist of hundreds of songs plays again in the same order.  I had to hit "next" 20+ times to not hear the same songs again, in the same order.  Aside from Spotify's "random" shuffle being a complete joke and not really being random, it now is starting over all the time when I go to play music and I'm hearing literally the same songs.  I had one day that was about 5 minutes between each of the 5-6 errands I was running and I kept hearing the same two songs over and over ever time I'd start driving again.

Please let me know if there's any other troubleshooting info you'd like from me.

Hardware Specs:

iPhone 6S w/ iOS 10.3.3

2010 Ford F-150 w/ SYNC

3 Replies

I have had this exact same problem for months now, this is the most articulately I have seen it put. Spotify, please fix this. It is a nightmare. 

Same problem here. I always use long playlists, but I noticed that "shuffle" is dramatic (only 40 songs actualy play in a playlist of 500 songs). The tip I used was to sort in alphabetic order on Title; this makes a sort of radom mix, although the order will stay the same. 

Adding to the problems is the skipping back to the first song. I use phones and tablets to operate a win10pc attached to the stereo. Re-installing the app has worked (briefly) on some devices, but not my phone. 

Very annoying, and probably a reason to end my account and run to Apple Music...

The same thing happens with my iPhone 8 Plus (iOS 11.2.2) on both the USB audio connection to my 2015 Honda Fit, and a portable Bluetooth speaker.  The issue seems to be fairly independent of interface specifics. 

You're right that this is probably two separate issues at its core.  The first is that abysmal shuffle algorithm used in the app. The second is the playlist restart issue, which seems to affect everything for me too, shuffled or not.

Regardless, it's driving me crazy, and making me really question whether I keep the premium account at all.

Suggested posts