Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Screen on Echo Show 8 will NOT turn off when song playing

Screen on Echo Show 8 will NOT turn off when song playing

With Amazon & Apple Music, after one minute my screen (my preference) will go dark and only show Time, Date, & Temperature. This is what I want! With Spotify, whatever song is playing will remain on the Echo Show 8 until the next song comes on and that song will remain on the screen etc.

I can give the verbal command to turn screen off completely but that is just temporary. I have 4 - Show 8s and this behavior happens in individual mode or when calling up the whole group. If a group, only one Show 8 will have the 'always on' screen, the others will be dark. This happens using the Alexa app or the Spotify app or just giving a verbal command. BTW, music plays great!

I pulled the plug on all 4, checked all my preferences, firmware up-to-date. Please help.

3 Replies

Hey @SWLEN45,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

We believe this is a setting that needs to be adjusted from your Echo Show device. We'd suggest that you go through the options that allow you to stay in control of Screen Settings. Each of these options are either inside of the echo show or the Alexa app itself. 

Play around with your night mode settings and see if you'll experience the same. You can find your night mode settings in your Settings > Clock & Photo Display menu (scroll to the bottom, to see the “Night Mode” option). Night mode has two functions: automatic and schedule.

As you mentioned, giving verbal commands is the easiest way to stay in control of your screen. This turns your screen off until you interact with your Echo Show again. However, this is most probably outside of Spotify's control to patch.

We will keep updating our app on our end with general fixes and stability improvements, but can't promise that this specific issue will be addressed, since, as we mentioned, it sounds dependent on the device's preferences, which we have no control over.

Hope this clear things up.

Cheers! 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank your for the response!

While not an Alexa expert, I do have 3 Dots, 4 Echo Show8s, and 2 Studios so I am familiar with the preferences. I posted to see if there is a preference that I am unaware of or perhaps bring a coding error to Spotify's attention. All groups mentioned are SPEAKER groups.

As I have already posted, failure to go into night mode does NOT happen with Amazon or Apple Music - only Spotify. No difference whether Spotify is default choice or not. All 4 of my Show8s are in 1 group. For example, if I ask Show#1 individually to play a Spotify selection, the screen does NOT go into night mode. When I then ask to play in this group, Show#1 goes into night mode but Show#4 screen stays on forever (unless I command Screen Off). I even did a complete FACTORY RESET on Show#4 but no change. No difference using the app or verbal commands to play in this group or even the Everywhere group. 

Multiple power disconnects, unpairing and re-pairing groups - no difference. Whenever a group is called up, it is always Echo#4 that goes and stays on.

Many hours on this but I prefer Spotify to Amazon/Apple as the app is great! Easy to switch devices even to my Sonos Ports. Fantastic!

Hope this helps. Thanks again!

PS  Even spoke to an Alexa tech in the U.S. (miracle) where we both went through every preference that could cause this problem. He was mystified as well and put in a feedback to Alexa engineers. Again, this only happens with Spotify, NOT Amazon/Apple Music

UPDATE: I replaced Show#3 and Show#4 with my Studios. Now when calling up the group, Show#1 (as Show#4 no longer in group) will NOT go into night mode.  This demonstrates that there is no problem with Show#4 preferences. In addition, I formed a new group with one of my Shows and 2 Dots and that Show will NOT go into night mode. Obviously there is a bug of some sort. Hopefully to be fixed.

I am beginning to think that perhaps this is how Spotify is programmed - "You will always be able to see what is playing. No more asking or touching the screen."  If so, please make the continuous screen (or not) a preference. 

Again, great app!

Suggested posts