Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Some local files syncing, some not... new problem since last Spotify iPhone app update

Some local files syncing, some not... new problem since last Spotify iPhone app update

I'm having a weird issue and wonder if it's happening to anyone else. I know how to sync local files to my phone through Spotify and how to ensure I can listen to them offline -- been doing it for years. After the last iPhone update, Spotify now only allows some of these local files to sync and there appears to be no rhyme or reason for it.

Example: I imported AC/DC's "Back in Black" as a playlist from iTunes, synced it to my phone several months ago. Everything was fine. Now, Spotify will only sync six of the 10 songs (and there is no order to which six are syncing). The other four are grayed out and when I click, Spotify tells me I need to sync them. ??

I have deleted the playlists and created new ones... I have shut down Spotify on both laptop and iphone... I have tried every quirky fix I can think of. Nothing is working. Firewall is off -- and besides, some of the songs ARE syncing so I know that's not the issue. I am nowhere near the 3,333 offline sync song limit. As I said previously, this playlist was working fine before the last Spotify app update.

Anyone else having a similar problem? This is driving me nuts because I use Spotify when I teach spinning... and when songs randomly disappear/unsync in rides I've created, it causes problems during my classes.

5 Replies

There is a current bug in the iOS app that causes some local files with special characters (parenthesis, commas, dashes, etc.) to keep uncyncing.

This bug might be what is causing you to have problems.

The developers are investigating it and hopefully it will be fixed in a future update. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I've been experiencing this as well and was hoping to work around it by removing the punctuation. Is punctuation in the track title, file name, or both that causes the issue?

Hi,
I'm having the same problem. iPhone 6 Plus. Many songs in the local files now won't play. The weird thing is that they are listed and the application shows the song, commands, cover and even the status bar while the song plays, but there is no sound at all. Nevertheless, all these songs are played normally in Spotify from my Mac. If there is anybody who solved the problem, please let me know. Thanks --

-- (excuse my english)

It happends to me too. I had a playlist with about 130 local files on my iphone. over the time it deleted some of the songs by it self. now im down to around 10 working songs on that playlist.

I was able to get them to play again, but it was a lot of work that shouldn't have to be done. Here's what I did:

1. Removed all punctuation from the song file names.
  2. Removed all punctuation from song titles, band names, and album names in iTunes using Get Info.
  3. Deleted Spotify from my iPhone.
  4. Deleted all local files from my iPhone.
  5. Synced my iTunes library to my iPhone.
  6. Downloaded Spotify on my iPhone.

It took a lot of playing around with my massive library and took multiple days. Hopefully a fix comes along soon that clears this up so no one else has to go through all this trouble.

Suggested posts