Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 0.7.4 breaks Siri on iOS 7

Solved!

Spotify 0.7.4 breaks Siri on iOS 7

I have discovered that when using the latest Spotify update on the latest iOS 7 beta, it stops Siri from working. I know iOS 7 itself is still in beta, but FYI the Spotify dev team might want to take a look at this.

The behaviour observed is that Siri launches OK, but doesn't "listen" to instruction. Spotify also stops playing and doesn't start again until the play button is pressed again manually. Killing Spotify reverts back to normal Siri behaviour.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Gibbage wrote:
To recreate the problem, play a song in Spotify and go to the "now playing" screen
Now hold down the home button to bring up Siri, and most times on my iPhone 5 (although not every time) Siri will cancel immediately and go back to the "microphone" icon rather than listening for input.
The problem doesn't occur if Spotify is playing in the background.

I am using the final GM version of iOS 7 and I cannot recreate the problem. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

This is not just on ios 7.  It happens on ios 6 as well.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

In that case this is a serious bug, since Siri is one of the headline features of iOS. Mods can you confirm that Spotify devs have been made aware of this?

Hi, and welcome everyone!

I'll escalate this as an issue to the staff so they can look into it.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Can you give us some clear steps to reproduce this?

We'll give it a go ourselves.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I'm no longer able to reproduce it. On the day the original posted reported this, it happened every time I tried, and exactly as he described. It's been fine ever since for me though (after a dozen or so tests), so I assumed it was fixed at the back end. Maybe it's sporadic or just hard to trigger.

I should add that the same was the case for the apparent bug in playing offline playlists over bluetooth- reported in a different thread on I think the same day. I've been using it daily without issue since then. Just the timing of when the two problems started and went away made me think they could be related.

It may have just been temporary - but it's worth us looking into still I think.

If we get any other reports we'd be interesting to to see them. Keep an eye out!
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

To recreate the problem, play a song in Spotify and go to the "now playing" screen
Now hold down the home button to bring up Siri, and most times on my iPhone 5 (although not every time) Siri will cancel immediately and go back to the "microphone" icon rather than listening for input.

I'm not running the iOS 7 beta so can't test this out myself. I can't reproduce it on iOS 6 at least.

@MattSuda - can you? 🙂

@Richard wrote:

I'm not running the iOS 7 beta so can't test this out myself. I can't reproduce it on iOS 6 at least.

@MattSuda - can you? 🙂

I'll check later today when I have time. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Marked as solution

@Gibbage wrote:

I am using the final GM version of iOS 7 and I cannot recreate the problem. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

I'm also now running the GM and can't recreate it. Looks like it was just a problem with earlier betas.

Thanks Matt for trying to test it.

Awesome, that's good to hear!

And thanks to Matt for the assist 🙂

And thanks to you too Richard 🙂

Locking this thread as solved.

Ping me if not 🙂

Suggested posts