Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 3.3.0 Green Update

Solved!

Spotify 3.3.0 Green Update

The new green is freaking awful, it hurts my eyes. Come on Spotify, is this an attempt to make your app more visible compared to the upcoming Apple Music app.

40 Replies

"The new green has a little more "pop" and just feels right at home in our new color palette which has grown to nearly three dozen colors."

Huh, this whole time I thought Spotify had like, three colors: green, black, and slightly darker black.

@parties

Most of the new colors are used in graphics on social media and websites.

The actual app uses less colors.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

HI, I have a family member that just put in private his session so I can't see what he hears, do you know what I can do without asking him to change it? Thanks

It's not easy being green dear spotify. Please change the latest green color to older one. Or some other green that doesn't hurt our eyes so much.

This new green is terrible and I agree with the OP, it does hurt my eyes when I look at the app icon on my iPhone screen, it looks like something has gone wrong with the colours. Please bring back that more natural green, it was easy on the eyes and in a way relaxing, which is what music does for me. Your offering (music) speaks for itself so I don't know why your brand identity needs to scream.

Spotify Please change the color back, or to at least a less ugly color. Please

Spotify must've updated in the background, because the ugly icon was the first thing I noticed when I rebooted. I really don't like it, it sticks out like a sore thumb on my desktop, and the application's highlight color is the same green! please make it configurable.

I find the green really unsettling too. I think I might start using an alternative desktop client like Fidelify or Clementine, but that won't help my poor Android.

I'm not confident in Spotify's ability to aknowledge user concerns, but please do add kudos to the idea here.

edit: Didn't notice this was the iOS section

Hey Everybody!!! Good News!!! Apple Itunes is offering a free 3 Month Subscription to their music streaming app!  

Apparently, Spotify offered this strenuous neon green on dark black to veer their customers over to other streaming serves such as "Apple Beats."  I've been a loyal customer with spotify since March 2013 and I've had issues with Spotify numerous times.  I admit that they have had been getting better with their serves over time but this color change is a major set back.  

Since, the app's icon hurts so much to even look at, I have no choice but to remove the app icon from iphone's tray and place it in a subfolder.  That way, I can ask Siri to open the app without looking at it.  Customers have had put in numerious complains about the new green icon and the shuffle button for over a month and Spotify is staying silent on the issue.  (i'm sure this matter was brought up by their own staff before going public but they were ignored). 

Well, I'm giving you guys till the end of the month to make a positive change or respone and if not, I will be leaving Spotify for good. 

Marketing tip: As mentioned by other commentors, stick to your roots like Coke Cola did.  If it isn't broken; then, why change it. 

Bufff i hate that color... it was so perfect before :(((

Is canceling spotify subscription because of the new green icon going too far?

I agree, as an artist and designer it appears to have been deliberately chosen to stand out by making it a horrible hue that doesn't fit well with any of the well chosen colours in most logos. That's why it is intrinsically disturbing many people except those who have unusual colour cognition. It is a poor choice in usability terms and has been done deliberately to get publicity or by some moron claiming to be a designer, either way it is a negative long term brand choice which is fundamentally stupid and may well become the marker for the down turn in spotify too afraid of Apple to even be the colour of Apples. 🙂

CANT STAND THE NEW GREEN!! IT FREAKS ME OUT EVERY TIME I SEE IT.

Yes all in caps Spotify! I need to shout this from the hills.
In fact go to the blackboard and do some lines as punishment...'the new green sucks and we will revert it, the new green sucks and we will revert it...' 1million times.

Then go and sack all the 'marketing team' for treason against the everyday people - oh and while your there dip your hand in you pockets and give artists more royalties for their art you tightwads, without upping the subscription.

World peace will follow but let's take one thing at a time.
Marked as solution

I agree that the green is not great but come on, is it really that much of a big deal?

Spotify is for listening to music not for staring at a little icon.

True it is for listening to music and the app is superb the benefits are endless so I can't complain.

However; I pay 120sheets of my hard earned cash to this service (it is value for money) but because I hand over my money cash I should not have to stare at a fugly ass app.

Digital media can be pretty and user friendly.

If we still had to rely on stores for compact discs my music intrests and range would be a lot narrower but I would have something physical, pretty to look at, lyrics to sing along too and maybe feel closer to an artist through their product art and inlay card/works.

what if you went to a store to buy your favourite artists latest CD and they had used a fugly green colour on the cover of the case? OMG what to do. ☺︎

Haha do a **bleep** on it 🙂

S
H
I
T
Is the point I was making I would one of them just on the green bits ^.^

It should be for listening to music.

But sadly, before I manually reverted the logo on my taskbar, the new colour icon was forcing itself into my consciousness just by being on my taskbar. After I reverted it manually, now I can again focus better. Not everyone always just listens to music without looking at the their desktop. As I study and write etc., I tend to listen to music, and had I not reverted it, I'd be forced to have the distracting neon mess of an icon on my taskbar.

"I really like it"

Go see an optician, your eyes are broken 🙂

Suggested posts