Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify iOS app not playing the next track automatically.

Solved!

Spotify iOS app not playing the next track automatically.

Hello there,

I've been using the Spotify iPhone app for about 2 months now. It worked like a dream for the first month and a half but now it's barely usable, in my opinion. When I start the app up and play a song, the app will not automatically play the next track, no matter if shuffle is on or off. I've tried researching the issue before making a post so I'm certain this is not the issue where the next track is not automatically played when you're playing a track from Search (a setting that developers apparently purposely put in--which has its merits). My app is not playing the next track no matter if it's from the Search screen, one of my playlists, or one of my friends' playlists.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled, rebooted my phone, checked all the settings (to my knowledge) and still have not come up with a solution. I am currently running iOS 5.1 on my iPhone. Am I crazy? Spotify is a great product but not being able to use the mobile app is really pushing me to cancel my subscription.

Thanks,

Eric

P.S. Obviously a reply with a solution would be ideal but any reply from a moderator would be great. Even one that just says "We've logged the issue and are looking into it." At least it will give me hope for the future Smiley LOL.

143 Replies

Hi everyone - We released another iOS update just last week.  

If you haven't already, please perform a clean reinstall. Let us know if you continue to have this issue with 0.5.4.

Nope. I did a clean reinstall last night and re-synced my largest playlists. This morning, it stopped playing as usual and then crashed.

Same problem for me.  Did a clean install and the problem is still there.

Are you guys unable to recreate this?  It is SO fundamental I can't understand why the issue has not been resolved!

Same here. Did a clean reinstall as per instructions. after 4 songs on my playlist it froze. 

While I appreciate the attention this issue is getting from you folk at Spotify, it has now been a good couple of months of me not being able to use this service.

I will be cancelling my subscription today. A shame, this could have been really awesome.

I've also decided to cancel due to Spotify's complete inability to solve this problem after over 3 months of posting here about it. It really has been the best music service I've used until this issue popped up. Since then, it's been pretty much unusable.

I'm yet another canceller.  I've also aplied for a refund for the last two months and suggest you do the same.

I wonder how long it will be before the IT news websites pick up on this?  It strikes me as quite big news that this app is flawed and has not been fixed after 3 months.

My spotify App is stopping while it is playing a song. This just started since the latest release a few days ago for Apple IOS on my Iphone 4. I have not had any problems before this. This is with version 0.5.4.13.g926e1856

Update to this...  I went back to version 5.3 and the problem is gone. Not having any problems with the app or playing music.

Hi everyone - I'm looking into this issue as we speak. For the moment if you could post the info below it'd be a big help: 

• Device Model
  • Device's Operating System
  • Mobile Spotify Version

As soon I have more info/ updates I'll post again right here. Thanks for your patience while we tackle this everyone. 

Hi there,

iPhone 4

iOs 5.1.1 (9B206)

0.5.4.13.g926e1856

I have already posted on this & still no joy. Its SIMPLE.

The default setting should enable you to play the play list as it appears in spotify.

The app, should also provide you with the ability to simply change the play order, via the app.

My suggestion how the app should work if you want to change the song order:

1/ You click on the song to be in postion one, then drag it to the top of the play list

2/ You then click on the song to be in positon two, then drag it just under the first song

.....and so on

If you decide you want to re - order them just drag and drop within the the song grid

If you want to return to the original order just have a button to put them back as they first appeared.

Its simple.....so come on Spotify developers.....THINK about the END USER

Have you turned off the Shuffle feature? When playing a song, tap the screen and click the "Shuffle" icon. Your playlist should play in the order you made it.

iPad 1 64GB 3G

OS ver 5.1.1

Spotify ver 0.5.4.13.

@meahtenoha wrote:

Hi everyone - I'm looking into this issue as we speak. For the moment if you could post the info below it'd be a big help: 

• Device Model
  • Device's Operating System
  • Mobile Spotify Version

As soon I have more info/ updates I'll post again right here. Thanks for your patience while we tackle this everyone. 

• iPod MC544ZP (4th gen)
  • iOS 5.1.1 (9B206)
  • I have cancelled and removed spotify from my device, however I had deleted and installed a clean copy of the app from the iTunes store before doing this. The spotify version was the latest one.

Device Model: iPod Touch 

Device O/S: iOS 4.2.1

Mobile Spotify Version: Spotify for iOS 0.4.26.1.g01466bb9

I've also been experiencing this problem for several weeks.  Trying to stream Spotify playlists over Wi-Fi on my iPod Touch running iOS 4.2.1. The problem was....after playing the 1st track in a playlist, the Spotify app would turn itself off (my iPod would be returned to the main menu screen). This problem would occur in both "Shuffle" mode as well as just playing the playlist in the default order of the tracks. For the record, I do not  use the Spotify app in "Offline Mode", Private Session is set to "Off", Scrobble is turned "Off", "Show on Facebook" is turned "Off", "Hide unplayable tracks" is "On"; "Stream" setting was set to "Low Quality". Also, I do NOT use Spotify to sync local mp3 files to my iPod.  

But after doing a clean re-install of Spotify for iOS 0.4.26 (I had previously running an old version of Spotify from the fall of 2011), as well changing the "Stream" setting to "High Quality" (as some other posters/users had suggested), the Spotify app seems to be working better. I also changed the "Auto-Lock" feature on my iPod to "Never", and I corrected the Date/Time on the iPod (for some reason, the date/time was set to the default 1970 date/time).  So far, so good - the problem seems to be resolved.  But I will update this post if the problem returns.

One other thing I noticed - whenever my iPod Touch would display the "20% battery power remaining" message, the Spotify stream (and app) would immediately stop. I would have to re-start the app in order to get the stream to resume. I don't know if this is avoidable, but I wanted to mention it.

HTH. 

Hi everyone - We released a new iOS update earlier this week: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Announcements/Spotify-for-iOS-0-5-5/td-p/135128

Is anyone still experiencing this on 0.5.5? It's worth a complete clean reinstallation just to be safe. 

I have just been noticing this in the past few days, in light of the recent update. There will be a song that will finish and it won't automatically go to the next one. When I manually move it to the next song the slider bar that shows the time of the song doesn't even show up.

I know it's not song specific, but just for your guy's reproducing purposes I was listening to the new Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer.

Thanks you for your help.

Meredith - yes I still have this problem.

Are you able to recreate it?  Have you done anything following the request for version details a week ago?

I have updated to the newest version and I'm still having the same problem. 

And also now it won't even start playing the songs.  

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I've had 2 months trouble free use then suddenly the exact same problem happening in my iPod touch. It's a 2gen model, but that shouldn't matter surely? I uninstalled and reinstalled the app - no good. I use in offline mode, about 4g space on there. Can't justify £10 a month forsomething where I need to manually advance tracks, I use it when I'm out running or walking the dog.

Any fix for ths?

Hate to say this but - I moved to Deezer for a while to see if they had similar issues - they did not. I love spotify but I hate having to battle with my phone to stream songs. The problem is very intermittent - not being able to play the next song.

Suggested posts