Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify iOS app not playing the next track automatically.

Solved!

Spotify iOS app not playing the next track automatically.

Hello there,

I've been using the Spotify iPhone app for about 2 months now. It worked like a dream for the first month and a half but now it's barely usable, in my opinion. When I start the app up and play a song, the app will not automatically play the next track, no matter if shuffle is on or off. I've tried researching the issue before making a post so I'm certain this is not the issue where the next track is not automatically played when you're playing a track from Search (a setting that developers apparently purposely put in--which has its merits). My app is not playing the next track no matter if it's from the Search screen, one of my playlists, or one of my friends' playlists.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled, rebooted my phone, checked all the settings (to my knowledge) and still have not come up with a solution. I am currently running iOS 5.1 on my iPhone. Am I crazy? Spotify is a great product but not being able to use the mobile app is really pushing me to cancel my subscription.

Thanks,

Eric

P.S. Obviously a reply with a solution would be ideal but any reply from a moderator would be great. Even one that just says "We've logged the issue and are looking into it." At least it will give me hope for the future Smiley LOL.

143 Replies

Gave your suggestion a go, no local files sync'd. The very first track after the reinstall, White Palms by BRMC which also appears in my local iTunes library. 

The playlist did not automatically go to the next track.

While I did not have any local files sync'd, maybe because this track appears in my iTunes library anyway...it doesn't take the spotify version?

Just a quick word from my end... I was having the same problem... only playing one track at a time on my iPhone 4 with the latest software update... really frustrating. So I read the posts and one user suggested checking the amount of space available on my phone, and it was down to like <300mb. I deleted some videos and unused applications and got it over 1GB, and it has been working again even over 3G coverage... I don't know what the threshold is, but this makes some sense to me. On the TuneIn radio app, it warned me I didn't have much available space and that it might not work properly.

I wish Spotify had a similiar warning, if a given amount of memory is needed. This may not be everyone's problem, but it seems to be mine.

This is finally working for me.  I've been trying to figure it out for a couple of weeks, but it's been playing for about a half hour so far with no issues.  Turns out I only had 183MB free, cleared up another 500MB and it seems to be good.  There should definitely be a notification from Spotify that says it may not work properly if there is not enough space free.  Thanks!

I spoke too soon.  After about 40 minutes it broke again.  And the wait continues.  Come on, Spotify.  This is getting really disappointing.

@zmcgowen wrote:

Just a quick word from my end... I was having the same problem... only playing one track at a time on my iPhone 4 with the latest software update... really frustrating. So I read the posts and one user suggested checking the amount of space available on my phone, and it was down to like <300mb. I deleted some videos and unused applications and got it over 1GB, and it has been working again even over 3G coverage... I don't know what the threshold is, but this makes some sense to me. On the TuneIn radio app, it warned me I didn't have much available space and that it might not work properly.

I wish Spotify had a similiar warning, if a given amount of memory is needed. This may not be everyone's problem, but it seems to be mine.

I'm sorry but for a STREAMING app to be impacted by there only being a few hundred MB available is rediculous.  I use other streaming apps with ZERO issues. They don't need to cache to local memory, or if they do it's seemless and not seen from looking at App storage usage.  Spotify was around only 20MB when I first installed it, but last week I noticed it had nearly 10X that consumed.  Only way to rectify that was to uninstall the app and reinstall.  I'd somewhat expect it from a FREE service, but certainly not from something I'm paying for.

I am not entirely sure, as I am not a technical person, but I think my issue isn't streaming (as there is no way I can stream from the places I listen to my playlists) it is the offline mode in general.

Unfortunately after removing the app, installing it again and resyncing a couple of offline playlists the problem appears to have become worse.  Same operating conditions as previously mentioned.

I am not going to use the app again until a fix is released, it is almost unusable, especially in a work environment where it is dangerous to an iPod touch to whip it out of your pocket every 4-10 minutes to skip to the next track.

Unfortunately, if a fix isn't forth coming in the upcoming weeks then I will be dropping this service. A shame.

@streetmapp wrote:

@zmcgowen wrote:

I'm sorry but for a STREAMING app to be impacted by there only being a few hundred MB available is rediculous.  I use other streaming apps with ZERO issues. They don't need to cache to local memory, or if they do it's seemless and not seen from looking at App storage usage.  Spotify was around only 20MB when I first installed it, but last week I noticed it had nearly 10X that consumed.  Only way to rectify that was to uninstall the app and reinstall.  I'd somewhat expect it from a FREE service, but certainly not from something I'm paying for.

I don't disagree with that assessment. The TuneIn app didn't stop working, only gave a warning. I just put what out there how the problem seems to be fixed on my device. Each person will have a different experience, but I tried all the other potentional solutions, and this is the one that seemed to work. But yeah, a streaming app shouldn't need a ton of local memory - especially a music service app streaming at 96k - 

Marked as solution

I have almost completely discontinued using Spotify because of these issues. As I said before, with the latest iOS update came the return of Spotify crashes to add to the misery of random play-stops.My kids started calling your service "Crashify" and it seems to fit. I have been posting here for months now with no resolution, including providing whatever details I can to help your de-buggers. I've been patient, but the patience is lost and replaced by frustration.

How much longer should I pay for a service that works so poorly that I've stopped using it?  

iPhone 4S

iOS 5.1.1

Have reset iPhone and fully removed and reinstalled the Spotify App.

Playing 1 track to the end, spotify changes to the next track but the playhead, time-in and time-out never appears. Like so:

http://i.imgur.com/DGHey.jpg

Simply hitting next track will make the next track play as normal (sometimes it will get stuck at 0:01 at the next track)

Pressing previous track from that next track will make the track play (sometimes this will get stuck at 0:01 aswell)

Interesting fact: This bug will not occour if you scrop the playhead to the very end of a song and the song will play as normal, however if you scrop the playhhead to 1 sec before the song ends the bug will occour and the next song won't play.

Marked as solution

@zmcgowen wrote:

Sorry for this issue, and no, no given amount of memory is needed to run the application and this issue is fixed in the upcoming 0.5.3 release that will be out very soon.  After this update and if you have very low memory, it should always play the next track when streaming.

The OS was interfering with Spotify whenever the device was running very low on space, the OS would clean applications caches and that made the next track unable to play the first time, and this would happen for every track played, which is very annoying I agree. Keep a look out for 0.5.3 🙂

Although the existing issue with Spotify not forwarding to the next track automatically might not be solved yet, we're still unable to re-produce it but we are working very hard to re-producing it and so far we haven't been able to, so hopefully it will be fixed with this version, so please let us know if the issue still persist or not after updating.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, the feedback gives an idea on what we need to focus on and fix a.s.a.p 🙂

I think you're doing a great job Bengan, I only wish the Android team would also engage with the community in the same way. I'm not saying they aren't working hard, just that we never hear anything from them and get no feedback on if they are actually listening to us or not. Being active in the community counts for a lot and the Android team are falling way short on this right now.

Does the size of the playlist make a difference? I find that the smaller playlists - say only 1 album in length - I will have little, if any issues with going to the next track.

My longer ones (up to 170 tracks) have the constant issues, where it will stop moving to the next track after 2 or 3 successful plays.

I've been having this issue on my iPhone 4S. I just added a 5.7s crossfade and switched quality to High. We'll see if this fixes anything for me. 

Spotify is not playing the next track automatically on my iPad. Do you know how to fix this?

I freed up a gigabyte of space and it has been working since. No guarantees though. It doesn't work for everyone.

@SteveBrammer wrote:

I think you're doing a great job @Bengan, I only wish the Android team would also engage with the community in the same way. I'm not saying they aren't working hard, just that we never hear anything from them and get no feedback on if they are actually listening to us or not. Being active in the community counts for a lot and the Android team are falling way short on this right now.

Thanks for the kind words Steve 🙂 

The Android team is working very hard on a new update, but I'll let them know the community would love to hear more from them 🙂

@vertigyn wrote:

I've been having this issue on my iPhone 4S. I just added a 5.7s crossfade and switched quality to High. We'll see if this fixes anything for me. 

So far so good on this fix for me on my device. 

Sorry to bump this again.

However I just got charged for my premium service today, but not really able to use it. Haven't been able to for months now...so...is there a fix for this or should I cancel my subscription now?

The latest update did not help my situation. As mentioned earlier, smaller, album sized playlists have no issues however this is impractical for the circumstances I use your service in so if that is a deal breaker, then I am probably going to have to cancel.

Thanks for your help so far though. I can only imagine that this stuff isn't easy - but from my point of view I can't be just throwing money at a service that isn't practical for me (though it could be frickin awesome...)

Hi,

I'm in the same situation as above - I've just been charged for Premium Service but I have this problem on my Iphone and iPad and it's a complete deal breaker.  I don't use Spotify on my PC at all.

Can someone from Spotify please confirm that this is an accepted bug and an estimate for when this would be addressed?

If you cannot I will have to cancel.

Thanks,

Tim

I have Spotify on my iPhone, and I will play a song and it won't automatically move on to the next song... so when the end of the song I chose comes, it picks the next song but never loads it, so I have to pause and play it again or skip to the next track and come back. Is this a setting I messed with somehow or a glitch?

This software has been poorly specified. Its so fundimental that you would want to play your play list in the order it appears - or why bother having a "Play List", no one want to have the computer randomly play tracs (thats called a radio or shuffle for people who dont have musical knowledge - or like surprises all the time). Poorly tested, poorly thought through and not anyware as good as the PC version.

Suggested posts