Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify iOS app not playing the next track automatically.

Solved!

Spotify iOS app not playing the next track automatically.

Hello there,

I've been using the Spotify iPhone app for about 2 months now. It worked like a dream for the first month and a half but now it's barely usable, in my opinion. When I start the app up and play a song, the app will not automatically play the next track, no matter if shuffle is on or off. I've tried researching the issue before making a post so I'm certain this is not the issue where the next track is not automatically played when you're playing a track from Search (a setting that developers apparently purposely put in--which has its merits). My app is not playing the next track no matter if it's from the Search screen, one of my playlists, or one of my friends' playlists.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled, rebooted my phone, checked all the settings (to my knowledge) and still have not come up with a solution. I am currently running iOS 5.1 on my iPhone. Am I crazy? Spotify is a great product but not being able to use the mobile app is really pushing me to cancel my subscription.

Thanks,

Eric

P.S. Obviously a reply with a solution would be ideal but any reply from a moderator would be great. Even one that just says "We've logged the issue and are looking into it." At least it will give me hope for the future Smiley LOL.

143 Replies

Just to clarify - since I haven't read through all of this thread.  supposedly I'm suppose to be able to tap the album artwork and bring up a dialog that should allow me to adjust the repeat/shuffle function, but that does not work on the ipad 2 with io6 at this point. 

However, if you press the button near the play button that places you into "full screen mode" you will find those options available. 

Very unintuitive actually - and I'm surprised they don't just put it where everyone would expect it - next to the standard playing options.  Anyway - hope that helps.

I am not sure what you are clarifying. 

The issue I had before removing the app and cancelling my service was large playlists (30+ songs) would not automatically go to the next track.

Anyone still getting this issue on the latest version of the app?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I would like to give it another go. It would mean resubscribing though. 

Lets see how long I can rhyme for.

I am still having the same issue as always. The songs that it stops playing after are all "synced" from my computer library. I noticed that every one of the songs that Spotify quit on after playing were synced MP3's, where I did not have the same problem on synce'd M4a files. I'm going to try converting them and re-syncing and see if the MP3 format is the culprit.

Updated this morning and yes, still the same issue. Seems to appear randomly, couldn't find any hint how that bug is appearing.

Same as usual.

Smaller playlists, absolutely fine both on and offline.

Larger playlists of 30+ songs, do not automatically move to the next track. On shuffle or not.

My playlist size was irrelevant. I have huge playlists of Spotify-streamed music that never stop playing. I made up a test playlist of 10 songs that locked up from my sync'ed playlist and it still locked up after every one of those aforementioned songs. For me, it is particular songs that cause Spotify to stop playing. And all of those songs so far are MP3's that I synced, as opposed to other formats that I've ripped.

Working better for me - used to have problems when forwarding from one song to another - seems to have fixed (fingers crossed)

@Rwiseman714 wrote:

I am still having the same issue as always. The songs that it stops playing after are all "synced" from my computer library. I noticed that every one of the songs that Spotify quit on after playing were synced MP3's, where I did not have the same problem on synce'd M4a files. I'm going to try converting them and re-syncing and see if the MP3 format is the culprit.

I came upon this thread whilst Googling for this exact issue. I have tracks synced from my PC (not otherwise available in Spotify's library) that don't advance to the next track automatically (I'm on the latest version of the app, iOS 6.1.2). Did the MP3 vs M4a observation ever lead anywhere? I'm at work at the moment, so I can't check whether the tracks I'm having trouble with are MP3 or M4a.

If not, has anybody managed to find a workaround for the problem?

Nope. I was working with the devs for awhile, but they stopped communicating (or possibly caring). Every MP3 that I synce'd caused my music to stop playing, as opposed to other formats. I switched to Rhapsody, but it is even worse IMO. It stops playing all the time, and you can't sync your own tracks so it's a different issue. I pinpointed the issue for them months ago and they still haven't issued a patch, or even declared that they're working on one.

I also tried converting my MP3's to another format and then re-syncing but I had some issues getting Spotify to "see" the newly formatted music and add it to my library. I don't have the luxury of time to f around with a music app every night, so I'm resigned to live with the issues that Spotify can't, or won't, solve.

The devs might have thought the issue was resolved in the last update. Still happens from time to time with me, but only with my larger playlists.

Playlists with more than 50 songs on it, happens all the time. 

Hi all - We released a new iOS update just last week. 

Be sure to install that update and let us know how that works for you. 

Unfortunately, it has not for me 😞 Using a 251 track playlist. The most likely (not guaranteed) places and occassions the playback gets 'stuck' between tracks on offline playlists is in subways and while in airplane mode after a few tracks. Also, I think the playback is more prone to getting stuck after having received a call. 

Just because I did a bit of whinging on this thread, I thought it would be better form of me to advise you Spotify folk that this is no longer an issue on my iPod Touch.

Whatever you have done, it seems to have worked. Thank you  🙂

Good to read that it seems to have been fixed for you, Mike! I wish it was the same for me. Although I have barely experienced any issues in the past weeks, it suddenly happened again on the bus when I was in an area with poor mobile data coverage. I noticed that the next track would not play. I looked at my phone and it said "Spotify is offline". When that message disappeared, I pushed the play button and the track played without problems. I still wonder why the fact that Spotify is offline influences a playlist that is marked for offline playback.

I've had Spotify for the last few months now, and I've always had a problem much like this one, but worse. Not only will it catch at the end of a song sometimes, but there are always random pauses in songs, even if buffering should be a non-issue. And the real deal-breaker is how when I select a song and play it, any attempt to play another song, regardless of whether or not it was "caught" at the end of the first one, will kill the app by removing the "knob" from the scroll bar and rendering music unplayable. The only fix is to hard reset the app from the home screen. And even then there's still freezes, and it's only good for one more song. This seems like extremely unprofessional programming, and is a glaring issue in an otherwise stellar service.

For me it worked to enable crossfading inbetween songs. Easy fix.

It's 2017 and this is still happening!! I'm debating on quitting the service. Pandora seems to work and YouTube Red works just dandy for making playlists. What's the point in having this when it doesn't work?

Suggested posts