Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps opening Facebook login page

Spotify keeps opening Facebook login page

I've been a Spotify premium member since before they had the facebook account integration. I have NEVER logged in using my facebook credentials, I have never linked the accounts...

A few weeks ago I had to exchange my iPhone and reinstalled everything. When I logged in and played a song I noticed Spotify posted it to my Facebook wall. I NEVER supplied my credentials to Spotify, I absolutely want NO part of the integration. Even worse, every time I open the Spotify app it tries to make me log into Facebook... I hit cancel and and get in anyway... My questions are:

1. Why now is the facebook login page constantly coming up? I do NOT want to see it, I do NOT want to log in with it.

2. How on earth did Spotify post to my wall??? I never did anything to link my spotify account with Facebook!

This is extremely invasive to my privacy, the page Spotify opens makes you think you're in the facebook app when you're not.. I could see logging in thinking I was in facebook when I was in spotify.. I hope this isn't what caused this.. If it is, right there alone that should be illegal making me think I was using Facebook and not Spotify... and grabbing my credentials without my knowledge.

7 Replies

I'm just guessing here, but do you happen to have the same email linked to both Spotify and Facebook? Sometime last fall, we disabled the possibility to log in with your Spotify email address (this was never officially supported, but worked nonetheless). If you use the same email address on both Spotify and Facebook, and you tried to login with that address, then you actually logged in with your Facebook credentials. Still weird that something got posted on your wall, since that is not possible unless Spotify has all the FB permissions (user has to authorize that for us to be able to post anyting).

Anyway, there are two things you can do:

1. Go to Settings in the iPhone app and disable Show on Facebook. If you do this, you will still be connected to FB and be able to browse your friends' playlists, etc, but we will never try to post what you listen to on FB (and you shouldn't get asked for permissions again). 

2. Go to Preferences on your desktop client and select Disconnect from Facebook. You can also go to your FB settings (Account Settings - Apps) and remove any permissions Spotify has. By doing this your Spotify account will be completely disconnected from FB.

Yes,

I do use the same email address and password for both, and I did used to log in with my email address. I don't have the desktop app installed but I'll download it just to disconnect from FB... However, is that going to fix the problem where it keeps trying to open facebook and make me log in?

-Keith

Yes, it will stop doing that.

If you have Show on Facebook enabled, then Spotify will try to post your listens to FB, only to discover that it doesn't have all the permissions, so it'll switch over to FB to request your permission. If you're not logged in, it'll ask you to do so. Since you keep clicking cancel, but at the same time keeping Show on Facebook enabled, then the same thing will happen next time it tries to post your listens to FB. So if you disable Show on Facebook or disconnect completely, it will no longer need those permissions and thus will no longer swtich you over to FB login page.

I opened up my client on my desktop and there is no option to disconnect from facebook, the only option is to "Connect to Facebook" which I'm certainly not going to do. Now what?

Hi! I have the same problem. Even though I have never enabled facebook integration and does not have the same login name facebook app page pops up all the time and I have to press cancel. Spotify please help, this is extremely annoying.

photo.PNG

I have the same problem. It is very annoying. Glad I got a free trail and didn't pay for it.

Suggested posts