Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify quits with an error message that "Spotify is playing on another device."

Spotify quits with an error message that "Spotify is playing on another device."

I am experiencing a problem with Spotify quiting with an error message that "Spotify is playing on another device." I am using Spotify Premium with Android based devices.

I first experienced this problem using only my phone or tablet, connected to Bluetooth speakers. I have been using Google Play Music for the past few weeks, but first purchased a Google Home Mini and Chromecast Audio this week, so I thought that I would try Spotify again and ran into the same problem.

Firstly, it is important to note that this issue isn't tied to Google products, although they are also being experienced with Google products. Secondly, and most bizzarly, I ensured that none of my devices were playing / casting Spotify and then booted into my PC Linux OS based computer system and started the Linux Spotify program. As soon as I did that, I got an audio error over my Chromecast Audio connected speakers stating: "Sorry, the music stopped because Spotify is playing on another device." The Linux Spotify program is not casting and not connected in any way to another device of any kind - except the same home wifi network.

I have looked at a number of other posts on simmilar issues, that go back at least as far as 2016, without any clear resolution. I have bben using Spotify for a long time, but I am considering finding a permanent alternative.

3 Replies

Hi there!

Sorry to hear that you think someone else has gained access to your Spotify account. Check out this Spotify Answer for the next steps to take.

I'd also recommend revoking some apps that you don't think should have access to your Spotify account here.

Thanks!

Umm. You clearly didn't understand my posting. Nowhere in my posting did I mention anyone taking over my account. This is a problem that users have posted about since 2016.

Hey @user-removed.

Thanks for getting back to us, and apologies for the confusion!

When someone gets that error message, it's often the case that their account has been taken over by someone else, which is why @Loxer suggested you try those steps to secure your account.

In this case, the issue seems to be different, since you mentioned that this is only happening in certain contexts. Just to confirm, do you only experience this issue when connected to Chromecast Audio, or can you reproduce this on other Bluetooth speakers?

Keep us posted 🙂

Suggested posts