Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't resume playing

Solved!

Spotify won't resume playing

Hi,

I have a problem with  Spotify app for iOS lately.

When I'm in the car, connected iPhone via USB cable to my head unit, music is playing OK. When I turn off the unit or press pause Spotify stops playing, but after I turn on the unit agait, on press play, Spotify won't resume.

If iPhone is connected via Bluetooth problem does not occur.

iOS version (latest) 10.2.1

Spotify version (latest) 7.5.0

Head Unit Alpine CDE-178BT

Problem occurs only when connected via USB cable. There was not such problem before 7.4.0 update.

Please help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Regarding the issue with Spotify being unable to resume playing. If you are connected via Bluetooth, go on the device you're connected to and select 'Forget Device', reconnect it and click play (also having restarted the app).

Similar applies for the USB connection. While connected, double click and swipe up and close the app (for iOS) and re-open the app to being playing.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hi there,

This is just part of an iPhones design. Whenever your iPhone identifies a source ie. you plug in headphones or an auxiliary cord, it automatically pauses whatever media you happen to be playing; spotify included. So if you turn off your car ignition, then turn it on again, it identifies as it as a new source. You just need to click play and you're good to go.

Carl

Hi, Carl,

Thanks for Your reply. Problem occured with an spotify update. As a reminder - if I listen via bluetooth - no problem occurs.

Maybe You can help me to roll down my Spotify app on my iPhone?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

So this only happens when you're device is connected with the USB. May I ask where you plug your USB into?

Better sound quality, charging as a bonus.

I too have this issue with my Pioneer X8800 BHS. It happens with both USB and Bluetooth for me.

For example: I'm playing music via Spotify, turn off my car, next time I turn on my car, it switches to the first song on the iPhone's built in music player. It rarely (maybe never) "remembers" to resume playing from Spotify. This happenes even if I keep the USB connected.

sdschramm what happens if You play Spotify, press "Pause" on Your head unit, and then press it again to resume? In my case playing won't resume, I have to click play button on my iPhone.

Updated to latest version yesterday, problem still there.

Trying to find a way to downgrade to version 6.8.0

Thank you for this additional information. In my personal set up, I have a Bluetooth device plugged into my cigarette lighter and it automatically connects when I re-enter the car. However, I do have to go onto my phone to select a song.

@sdschramm your Pioneer may not pick up the previous song because you may have closed the Spotify app on your phone before re-entering the car. Spotify only has a short term memory and as soon as you close the app (as in double click and flick up for iOS) it will forget the last song you were listening to.

Marked as solution

Regarding the issue with Spotify being unable to resume playing. If you are connected via Bluetooth, go on the device you're connected to and select 'Forget Device', reconnect it and click play (also having restarted the app).

Similar applies for the USB connection. While connected, double click and swipe up and close the app (for iOS) and re-open the app to being playing.

No problems occur on bluetooth.
There is no need to close the app, simply click Play button on the phone. Version 6.8.0 had none of this issues. Plug phone in and it will play right away, press Play button on head unit to toggle Spotify Play/Pause, answer a call, hang up and Spotify will resume playing.
Versions 7.4.0-7.6.0 You have to click Play button on the phone to start playing, click Pause on head unit to pause Spotify, to resume playing You have to click Play on phone, head unit controls don't work. Answering a call and after hunging up Spotify won't resume, You have to click phone's Play button.

Carl, in my case, I am not closing Spotify. For example I can have Spotify connected and playing music, I turn off my car, turn my car back on (never removed my device, changed apps, etc) and then the first song of my phone music starts playing rather then resuming what I was playing on Spotify. If I was playing music that is stored locally on my phone (or Apple music) that resumes just fine.

Additionally, I think someone else had asked about "pushing play" on the stereo - I am able to do that, I can toggle between "pause" and "play" from the radio and the Spotify music resumes fine. It only seems to be if I turn the stereo/car on and off that it "forgets"

Solution:
Install iTunes app, then remove it.
Now I can pause/resume from my head unit and Spotify starts playing after plugging the USB cable.

Suggested posts