Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stuck in search "top result"

Stuck in search "top result"

A while ago I searched for an artist and she came up as the Top Result. I can click between the tabs at the bottom and go to them and use other functions but I can't figure out within the UI how to get back to a place where I can enter a new search.

I would think that swiping to the right across the screen would go back to a main search screen. Or dragging down on the screen would expose a search entry but nothing that I've been able to figure out allows me to get out of the "top result" that I clicked on a while ago. 

10 Replies

Hey @kg6fnk, help's here!

On iOS, the Search menu is in the middle on the icons on the bottom of the screen.

When tapping into it, you should see the keyboard pop up automatically and the search bar will be ready to type in. You'll also see your list of recent searches, like so:

IMG_1842.PNG

If you've searched lots, you'll need to scroll to the bottom if you wanted to click the 'Clear recent searches' option. This'll give you an empty Recent Searches section again.

Bear in mind, you'll need to click the X icon next to the text you last entered in the search bar to be able to free it up. Otherwise, if I search for Skepta and leave the seach bar full:

IMG_1843.PNG

...It'll still be on the search results for that last artist. By clicking that little X, you'll get back to the screen as it appears in the first screenshot, and you'll be able to start a fresh search.

We hope this helps. Let us know if you need any other pointers.

🙂

I have the same problem. The point is that the search icon just defaults to the Top Search screen each time you press so no new search bar or keypad to navigate away from the Top Search screen and do any of the other things you suggest. Very frustrating!

Hey @jackS what if like the post above, it's just stuck on the top result and hitting the search icon does nothing. No menus, keyboard, search bar entry etc. Just that last top,result staring at you? What then?

Same problem here! Stuck on my result!

same problem here. The ‘solution’ given so far simply shows the (obvious) steps to take if we DIDN’T have the problem. Maybe Spotify are incapable of spotting the problem, which is why it exists in the first place..

Whilst not experienced this myself. Ensure you’re on the latest version..

Otherwise, two things to try:

1) keep pressing the search icon (magnifying glass) to ‘step’ back through your search process. It should return to the screen you need after a few presses. 

2) failing that, this may be a bug! so double tap Home and close the Spotify app, by swiping up. Press Home again, Hopefully you’ll then be able to access search again.

Thank you soundster, you're very kind!

I'm using v8.4.42.724, which I think is the latest version. I first noticed the problem a few months ago, so I don't think it started in this version, which was installed quite recently. I think it's quite a long-running issue: this thread started in April 17, but there are some older threads which look as if they might be about the same thing.

Pressing the Search icon is a good idea, but it doesn't help - see Steps to Repro, below.

Your workaround is effective, but it has one major drawback: closing the app stops music playback, which means I can't search for music while listening, which I like to do. My workaround is to download the Windows app onto my laptop and use that instead, but I would find my phone much more convenient.

I am positive it's a bug, and I've just established that it's quite easy to reproduce. Sadly, these are steps I routinely follow when searching for music, I'm guessing other people search differently or it would get more attention.

Steps to Repro
-------------------
Tap the Search icon
In the Search box, type an artist name, e.g. miles
>From the search results, tap an artist name, e.g. Miles Davis
Scroll down to the Albums, and tap See All Albums
In the Filter box, type a search string, e.g. brew
Tap an album name, e.g. Bitches Brew
..at this point, you'll notice that there is no "<" navigation link at the top of the page to go back with; there is only one way back:
Tap the Search icon to get out of the album page
Now you're stuck on the Top result page, with no way back to show the Search box. Tapping Search doesn't do anything, and nor does swiping right (which sometimes works on other pages).

It may be that this doesn't affect other people - I'm using an iPhone 5s, the small screen might affect the behaviour of the navigation bar at the top of the page.

Hi Jumma. Thank you...

Apologies for delay in my response. I understand the issue you are experiencing and after testing with different search terms, accounts and also iOS devices, this certainly affects other users and different accounts that are independent. 

As you have noticed this is been apparent on previous releases of Spotify, I would suggest that this is raised with Spotify themselves now so that it may be resolved. 

Good luck with with this and I hope it is resolved soon!

Clearly not showin a back icon.Clearly not showin a back icon.

I’m having this same issue. The first time it happened was yesterday and nothing I do seems to fix it. Closing the app fixes it temporarily like the others have said, but the problem happens after doing a new search. I’ve logged out and back in. This fixes it until I search again and navigate to the album list. When I try to get back to do a new search, there is no back button at the top and swiping back works until I get back to the Top Result page. Clicking on the search icon at the bottom repeatedly also does nothing. I’ve also tried reinstalling the app and the same problem occurs after navigating to the album list of the top artist result. The only solution is to quit and reopen the app. This seems like a bug.

I’ve attached an image of the Top Result page that has no back button. When I click the search icon on the bottom from this page, nothing happens. Nothing happens if I swipe back either (from any part of the page including the blank space to the left of the Songs heading). There seems to be no way to search without closing and reopening the app.

390FF6BF-4266-4218-AB60-188442E263DD.png

Did anyone every get a satisfactory fix for this problem? I'm having the same issue on an ipad.

Suggested posts