Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Thoughts on new 1.0 iPhone release??

Thoughts on new 1.0 iPhone release??

I like the design of the new iPhone 1.0 version, in terms of visual appeal, but find it harder to use.  I am really missing the ability to click on a song to bring up the song menu (Add to Playlist, Star, etc.).  Making this menu accessible only via the little button to the right of the song title is, in my opinion, a real loss. 

At least on my iPhone 4S, this menu is also very sluggish -- it takes several seconds to come up, and the Star status (the thing I most often use) takes even longer to update. 

I will keep an open mind as I use the new app version, but wanted to share my initial thoughts.

Andy

14 Replies

Hi, I think you're referring to clicking on the album art on the now playing screen, which now does nothing.  My guess- and that's all this is- is that they're reserving that for something else that isn't implemented yet.  Maybe fullscreen of the album art, or access to a play queue of songs- who knows.  But the fact that it's always done something till now makes me think it will do something again in the future. 

And the animations work great on my 5s, but are sometimes very slightly laggy on my 5, so I can imagine it's even less fluid and slower on the 4s.  I hope they tweak it to make it more fluid with older iphone versions.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

I really like the interface. However, I cant seem to get airplay working on iphone. There is no airplay icon anywhere. The iPad version has the icon though. Is this a bug?

I've been using this version since yesterday and music control becomes really laggy on my iphone 4s. It takes up to 3 seconds when I shuffle playlist, or simply choose next song and during this delay whole app is frozen... This problem appear only when I try to switch music manually. Same problem on control center.

I tried to reboot iphone with no result. I know, the iphone 4/4s can't run properly since ios7, everything is laggy 😕

It's quite annoying, since the main purpose of this app is to play music, no matter how cool it looks and previous version worked fine...

I have the iPhone 5C and it is very laggy on mine as well! I tried restarting the app and then turning my phone off and on but it is still very laggy. 

I think the redesign is clunky and superfluous. but that pales in comparison to the issues a few hours of use (playing local files) have revealed.

- the native controls (the swipe from bottom screen) don't work. no file names shown and the buttons do diddly squat
- the app crashes at least 30% of the time when going from another app back to spotify
- files randomly stop playing for no apparent reason
- app crashed and stopped playing when alarm went off
- sluggish response in menus

I absolutely hate the new design. For some reason, Apple and Spotify think it's great to push everything together in small spaces. I used to be able to change music in the car without looking at the phone at all. Now, I am commonly hitting nothing while trying to hit "Next Song" or pausing it. The fact that they changed from tapping the album art to bring up song options to a tiny button is really dumb. The lock screen playing also took a hit. No idea if it was only me but there was a 3-4 second delay between switching song album art.

The whole redesign was so terrible, I deleted it and installed an old version I, luckily, still had saved on my iTunes.

I like the interface but for actual useability I find it sucks on my iphone 5

When I boot up Spotify, it has to hunt for my playlists via 3G or Wifi, until it finds a signal the lists or albums aren't titled so it just says

17 Tracks

10 Tracks etc.

Why?!

You can activate Airplay (for Spotify or other apps) from the Control Center.

Here is how you turn AirPlay on and off in iOS 7:

– Swipe up from the bottom and this will being up Control Center. 

– From the Control Center you’ll see the Airplay icon. 

– Tap on the AirPlay button and select the device you are using for AirPlay.

I've noticed the AirPlay button doesn't show in Control Center unless you are on WiFi with a compatable device.  

Hope this helps.  

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

I have to say, I really really like the redesign. I guess others aren't big fans of change and have been experiencing bugs. But not the case for me with my iphone 5. It's so sleek and fluid , I think its 1000% better than the prior iOS version. The only complaint is the iPad update isnt ready yet, and seems like its going to be a while before we see it.

I liked the redesign so far. I miss the option to click the music album and bring up the menu to view the artist page or start a radio. Putting that do the little small button on the right killed the mood 😛

I also tought that an option so make all songs under 'Your Music' available offline should be added. I don't want to add every song to a playlist to make it available offline. My data plan is not that generous and being able to sync all my library from spotify would be great. I'll just have to keep using playslits for a while...

Totally agree with the OP about not being able to tap on the album art to bring up the menu. The new menu button is small, and I seem to have to tap it a few times before it registers. Smart phone apps are supposed to be finger - (and thumb) - friendly so users can easily select items.

Then, when the menu comes up you have to scroll down to see all menu items.  This is an extra and unessary step.  With the old menu you could quickly see all the choices and select one.  

Also, when you choose Album Info, the release date is no longer listed.  I used that all the time!  When I hear a song that I'm unfamiliar with, I look to see if it's a new song or not.  The album release date is the only place I could find that info, and now it's gone.  😞

More thoughts on version 1.0:

1.) Under "Browse"--> "Genres & Moods", there is Pop, Rock, Country/Folk, Urban, Latino, Club, Jazz/Blues, Classical, etc.

Why no Alternative / Indie?  Please add that!

2.) Under Playlists, when you click Edit on the upper right, the only option is to delete/unfollow on the left. In most iOS apps, there is also an option on the right to drag the item to change the order of the list.  Sure would be nice to be able to change the order of our playlists from our iOS device!  (Yeah, I know we can do it on the desktop app, but this is a perfect solution so we can do it on our iPhones!)

3.) Playlists only show the total time, not the total number of songs.  Please restore the number of songs on a playlist!

4.) When you click on the Playlist creator (e.g.: Spotify) I would expect to see all playlists by that source. Instead it shows "0 Playlists" for Spotify!  (Seems to work correctly with sources other than Spotify.)

I think the app looks fine. However, since after a couple times using it, it crashes out on the splash screen, I don't get to see it much any more.

Same here re unusable speed. It's a disgraceful release, and my premium subscription is now cancelled. I'm not paying good money for a rubbish product.

Suggested posts