Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Transfer local files without wifi

Transfer local files without wifi

Hello all!

Recently the local files on my iphone 5 have 'greyed out' randomly and only songs on spotify have remained playable online and offline. I searched this problem and it seems to be a bug. I have reinstalled the app just to start fresh but here is where my problem lies.

I currently live in uni halls and the wifi, to be honest, is ****. It wont let you connect devices through it such as using a chromecast, wireless printer and of course, syncing local files over wifi.

Now thats where my question is, can I sync local files any other way or am I stuck without local files on my phone 'til i move out? (I'm using a desktop computer so using someone elses wifi network to sync isn't possible)

Cheers in advance.

8 Replies

Sorry, but Spotify only supports local file syncing via WiFi. There is currently no other way.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Bluntly put but thanks for the reply! Very strange you cant do it through a wired connection this day and age 🙂

Well .... in older versions you had the "Devices" thing at the left side of the app on your desktop which let you synch all your stuff also via cable and so on --- but with the new version which came out recently i cannot find this button anymore, so I guess they believe its not needed anymore

@Langi94 

The devices section will be coming back in a future update.

The cable syncing is only for iPod classic and nano to sync MP3 files that you have on your computer.

To sync local files with the Spotify app on iOS and Android, it has to be via WiFi.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Is there an update on this? Because this puts a serious dampener on my experince with spotify, & I have to create seperate playlists in itunes with my local music, which also means I have to jump between apps for music.

I agree. My university has firewalls up that refuse connections between devices over the wi-fi, making wi-fi syncing useless to me. Seems crazy that wi-fi is the only way to transfer local files to spotify.

Now I'm in the same boat as you, having to switch between my iMusic and Spotify just to listen to local files, which is doubly annoying because iMusic doesn't let you scrobble to last.fm

Thats stupid most high end pc's dont have internal wifi 🙂 

sorry, this is a little late but the only way I have found to successfully transfer files from pc to iPhone Spotify without wifi, is to use your phone hotspot and connect to your computer. It worked for me.

Suggested posts