Very high data usage

Solved!

Re: Very high data usage

Craigski
Roadie

I've had a play.  In short, it looks like it is back to normal. (edit: Back to normal for me at least. YMMV Don't take my word, test first) I didn't have Spotify on my phone.  So I had to install and set it up first.

Streaming at normal consumed 56.3MB for an hour.  This is what I was seeing last year when I checked it.

Downloading a playlist no longer uses cellular when you are connected to WiFi.  Yay.  that's where most of my unexpected usage was coming from.

Playing back downloaded tracks for 5 mins (2 tracks) used 1.7MB data.  I'm not sure about this one.  On one hand it is no longer using hundreds of megabytes of data like it was last week.  On the other hand, I've never actually tested this before.  So I have no idea if 1.7MB is normal for playing back two downloaded tracks.  It probably is  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (edit: It's probably not be related to playing back at all, just spotify stuff in the background.)

Finally I streamed 10 minutes of unplayed (edit: and not downloaded) tracks to see if having downloaded tracks present changed anything.  It used 14.7MB.  It's a bit too short to work out a long term figure, but I think it was enough to confirm it was no longer consuming hundreds of MB per track.

I'd still keep an eye on it though.  The last message Support sent me was they would let me know when it was fixed, and I haven't heard from them since :)

edit: Cause I read it back like I should have b4 I hit post.

83evans
Regular

Thanks for the update!

--
Tyler D Evans
<snip-personal info>

OviiiOne
Community Legend

Hey guys!

The issue has been solved!

kellte2
Regular
Still having issues even after attempting posted fix.

OviiiOne
Community Legend

Have you tried to restart the app?

haaszilla
Regular

@Craigski wrote:

Playing back downloaded tracks for 5 mins (2 tracks) used 1.7MB data.  I'm not sure about this one.  On one hand it is no longer using hundreds of megabytes of data like it was last week.  On the other hand, I've never actually tested this before.  So I have no idea if 1.7MB is normal for playing back two downloaded tracks.  It probably is  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (edit: It's probably not be related to playing back at all, just spotify stuff in the background.)

@Thanks @Craigski for doing some tests for us!!

So 1.7 mb of data for 5 minutes of playback is typical with Spotify? Does anyone know what Spotify would be doing that could be using that much data? 1.7mb for 5 minutes isn't bad, just curious.

if I remember correctly, Apple Music doesn't use any data when playing a downloaded song, which I think is best case scenario. 

OviiiOne
Community Legend
Keep in mind that you use mobile data to download the album art.

cedge
Casual Listener
Of course I have.

Craigski
Roadie
Hey @hasszilla. I'm not too concerned about 1.7MB at this point. My tests don't really represent a real world situation. I had only just reinstalled, and done a bunch of stuff in quick succession, so there was probably a lot of background admin stuff being done. It is something I would keep an eye on though.

Punk_Life75
Music Fan

I have just changed my phone and I am now experiencing this problem, in 1 day I used 2.5gb of data for offline playlist. I have version 6.5.0.1665 on iPhone 7 and I have been using spotify for years and this is the first time this has happened.

SUGGESTED POSTS